Question Ikelite Housings/ Oly RC Flash TTL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AggressorBLUE

Registered
Reaction score
So, stay with me for a second on a crack-pot theory: It might now be possible to use Olys RC Flash with Ikelite housings, based on thinking through/assuming a few things:

-Ike just released a new Fiberoptic trigger bulkhead (Manual Fiber Optic Transmitter for DL and DLM Underwater Housings), and it looks conceptually to function similarly to the method AOI uses, converting the hot shoe signal to an LED flash in the bulkhead. As with the AOI housings, the ‘work load’ of doing this is handled by a coin battery on the device; the camera is just suppling a signal.

-My understanding of the RC flash system, is that the main on-device triggering flash fires a very quick set of pulses to be received by the flash doing the main lifting for exposure.

-The triggering flash in this system can be ‘dumb’, as it’s just being tasked by the camera to emit the moral equivalent of ‘morse code’ at low output setting. However, it’s the receiving flash that has to be ‘smart’ enough to be looking out for and process the RC signal and fire accordingly.

-So, assuming the ikelite fiberoptic bulkhead is up to spec to output to the required cadence, it should be able to hold up it’s end of the Bargain.

-So, now that we’re starting to see RC compatible strobes on the market, eg. The Backscatter MF2 and the coming-soon Sea and Sea YSD3 Duo, the loop can be closed, and boom, the benefits of an Ike housing (affordable, robust, compact) without being locked in to Ikes proprietary flash connections, cables, and system.

Now, all of the requisite hardware is new to the market as of this writing, so I’m not really expecting a ton of folks to be able to weigh In from hands on experience. And it’s also worth noting that currently, Ike advertises the fiberoptic bulkhead as a manual-only affair. But I figured I’d consult folks here for thoughts and a general sanity check on the above train of thought.

I’ll also say, either way, as I start strategizing my upgrade from EM5 II w/ Ike housing and aging DS125 strobes, to building a rig around an OM-1 and TBD lighting package,Ike housing+fiberoptic bulkhead+SeaandSea YSD3 Duo could make a pretty nice combo. Even if for some reason the above TTL isn’t in the cards, and it’s manual only, that still makes for a nice travel package. Perhaps I’ll be able to test my own theory in the future :)

I am thinking that a "dumb trigger" is not sufficient?

Otherwise Ikelite's trigger would be full featured and not just manual?

Based on my (small) Canon knowledge there is either a dumb analog X pin based "fire the strobe now" or a sophisticated digital protocol between the camera and the strobe. The analog X pin signal is real time. The digital protocol is not (too slow...). It preloads the strobe with the knowledge of how much light to provide (based on the preflash thingy exercise) and then it is up to the smart strobe sitting on the hot shoe to flash appropriately when told to Go!

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom