Capitano or Not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetPro

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just picked up a used compressor block for a "good guy Price". No motor, just the block on a mount. It needs some work, so it'll be one of the the winter projects. I thought it was a Bauer Capitano manufactured in 1993 based on the Bauer parts lists, but I'm wondering if it might have been a Mako with a Bauer block.

The Block has the following numbers KB14874-000M and 93/1800/07. The water separator between stage 2 and 3 lists it was mfg in 1992.

My Junior II has the typical P21 filter and that is also what is shown in the Capitano Manuals. This unit has a small pressure vessel with a blue repackable cartridge inside. I should be ok with the Bauer parts list for the block, but I can't find the filter or housing in any of the parts lists.

I'm curious about the filter. It was packed with 2 sections of carbon separated by a filter pad. The pads and plates were included on the ends. Is this filter any good? I'm thinking of packing it with Dessicant and then adding another tower.

Any suggestions for a motor to use with this block? I don't have the specs on the original but I'm thinking 4 or 5HP single phase and driving the block at 1200 to 1300 RPM.

PC090008.jpgPC090022.jpg
PC090009.jpg
Thanks,

Jeff

The two sections of carbon you mention was probably carbon and hopcalite which is used to take out carbon monoxide. Every system should have it for safety, especially with a gas engine.

The two sections of carbon you mention was probably carbon and hopcalite which is used to take out carbon monoxide. Every system should have it for safety, especially with a gas engine.

That's what I was expecting, but it was just full of carbon - very wet & oily carbon.
Is anyone still using these little cartridges? It doesn't seem like it would provide much filtration.

Jeff

3450 - 3600 rpm 5 hp motor. With the 3450 rpm you'll need a 6.4" pulley. Get rid of that combo separator/filter and replace it with a modern unit. Either a final separator with add on filtration or a modern combo filter/separator that will get you Grade E air.

Someone added that antique junk to that block. They are circa early '70's. At that time, most of the final separators/filters were rated for 3200 - 3600 psi.

BTW, it is a Capitano, you can tell immediately by the first stage head and cylinder. The unit is a "Frankenpressor" that someone put together. LOL Bauer had stopped selling blocks only before '93.

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom