Bauer K15 compressor questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello K15 compressor experts! I bought myself an old (1978 based on compressor block number of 8/684/5) Bauer model IKA 15-15 EG with a serial number of 77033. It has been sitting for several years, and I just powered it up tonight for the first time. I've been doing some reading, but I'm still very unfamiliar and have a ton to learn. My first question is: How long does it normally take for the 4th stage oil pressure to build? I've been to scared to let it run more than 15-20 seconds, because the oil pressure guage is much slower to show a build-up of pressure compared to what I expected. It barely moved off the peg, if it did at all during a run of 10-20 seconds. I did notice that it started increasing during at least one of several very short test runs, but didn't even reach 100psi. Also, the guage for 2nd stage intermediate pressure jumps up and down excessively (not nearly as stable as 1st and 3rd stage), is that abnormal? Also I'm missing a few parts, is there one or two preferred providers/ anyone who sells used parts? I have a loose guage for 4th stage final pressure, but it was just sitting loose in it's hole, no little stainless steel looking line was connected to it like the other four pressure guages all have. The filter unit is not the original Bauer, I'm pretty sure it's a setup from a Mako compressor. Thanks in advance for any help!
Robert

Attachments

• 20240409_230245.jpg
    20240409_230245.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240409_230315.jpg
    20240409_230315.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 30
Hello K15 compressor experts! I bought myself an old (1978 based on compressor block number of 8/684/5) Bauer model IKA 15-15 EG with a serial number of 77033. It has been sitting for several years, and I just powered it up tonight for the first time. I've been doing some reading, but I'm still very unfamiliar and have a ton to learn. My first question is: How long does it normally take for the 4th stage oil pressure to build? I've been to scared to let it run more than 15-20 seconds, because the oil pressure guage is much slower to show a build-up of pressure compared to what I expected. It barely moved off the peg, if it did at all during a run of 10-20 seconds. I did notice that it started increasing during at least one of several very short test runs, but didn't even reach 100psi. Also, the guage for 2nd stage intermediate pressure jumps up and down excessively (not nearly as stable as 1st and 3rd stage), is that abnormal? Also I'm missing a few parts, is there one or two preferred providers/ anyone who sells used parts? I have a loose guage for 4th stage final pressure, but it was just sitting loose in it's hole, no little stainless steel looking line was connected to it like the other four pressure guages all have. The filter unit is not the original Bauer, I'm pretty sure it's a setup from a Mako compressor. Thanks in advance for any help!
Robert
Update: I noticed the oil pressure gauge didn't move at all on the last run, but it certainly had come up some on previous short test runs, so last night after noticing this I stopped right then. This morning I removed the cover to inspect the cog belt that drives the oil injection pump, and the belt is broken! The price for a Bauer N02874 belt seems to vary wildly, depending on who you buy from. Does anyone know where to get one of these at a decent price?

Mine just runs a standard AX series belt. Is yours something unique?

Mine just runs a standard AX series belt. Is yours something unique?
Hi Tracy, I'm pretty sure you're talking about the v-belt(s) that drive the compressor, while I was talking about the smaller cog belt on the opposite side of the compressor from the drive pulley that drives the oil pump. It's under a plastic cover. I ended up ordering one from a supplier in Florida for about $53 (which seems to be the official price from Bauer). Some part suppliers have them listed at over $80, and Grainger in Canada has it advertised at $360! What a joke!

Hi Tracy, I'm pretty sure you're talking about the v-belt(s) that drive the compressor, while I was talking about the smaller cog belt on the opposite side of the compressor from the drive pulley that drives the oil pump. It's under a plastic cover. I ended up ordering one from a supplier in Florida for about $53 (which seems to be the official price from Bauer). Some part suppliers have them listed at over $80, and Grainger in Canada has it advertised at $360! What a joke!
no, I was talking about the oil pump. The drive belts should be standard B servies vbelts.
My K14 is chain drive, my 1973 K15 which appears nearly identical to yours has a v belt running the pump.
What is a cog belt? That isn't a term I am familiar with unless you mean like a timing belt.

no, I was talking about the oil pump. The drive belts should be standard B servies vbelts.
My K14 is chain drive, my 1973 K15 which appears nearly identical to yours has a v belt running the pump.
What is a cog belt? That isn't a term I am familiar with unless you mean like a timing belt.
Yup, like a timing belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom