Bauer Junior II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The female thread in the Bauer PMV outlet is 1/4" BSPP (G1/4").

Get a BSPP adapter with an encapsulated seal instead of stuffing around with copper gaskets or dowty seals. Your hydraulic fittings shop will know it as a 'WD' variant of the BSP fitting. It has a little groove with a built in flat seal between the top thread and the sealing surface.

Looks like this

BSP-WD.JPG

I suggest you use the 1/4 BSPP adaptor with either the built in EO seal, or a 1/4 USIT seal, or lastly a copper gasket #N01316. These are the only ones that will seal to the slight recess on that PMV outlet. I do not recommend the boss o-ring with the outer metal ring, as it is most often too big to fit in the recess. We sell all three of those options on our site.

The earlier mentioned wires were your overtemp sensor that was used on the gas version. The gas version switch was N.O. but, on most electric setups, it is N.C. Therefore it is longer in use with your electric motor switch out.

2.2kw is possible to run on a true 20a circuit if nothing else is running on that circuit at the same time AND it has a soft start installed. Most of the issues with the smaller compressor motors is in getting them started. Unfortunately I do not know of any VFD's that will bring the voltage up that are larger than 1.5hp otherwise that would be the best option.
If you go 240v, then I would still use a 3-phase motor and put this guy on there. This will give you soft start and stop, give you a place to wire all of the stop circuits in, and also give you true speed control. The cost of soft-starts is annoying so going with a 3-phase motor and VFD is probably going to be cheaper.
Is this a VFD that you know works with a Bauer Junior 3ph motor and using a 230/240v 1ph input?

I've been doing research lately to install one of these JIIs on my sailboat and have found guidance from VFD manufacturers saying to size the VFD to 2x the motor's FLA when using a single phase input. It would be real nice if that weren't the case for this application.

Is this a VFD that you know works with a Bauer Junior 3ph motor and using a 230/240v 1ph input?

I've been doing research lately to install one of these JIIs on my sailboat and have found guidance from VFD manufacturers saying to size the VFD to 2x the motor's FLA when using a single phase input. It would be real nice if that weren't the case for this application.
I don't know from direct experience, but it is spec'd to run that motor.

Now, your research is correct with a caveat. Most VFD's are not rated for single phase input and since they are technically rated for total current you have to compensate for the higher current of single phase on the way in. Doubling the vfd is an easy assumption for smaller VFD's though if we are being pedantic you need to upsize by sqrt(3) which is around 1.75 which is where the doubling comes from. The VFD is effectively converting AC to DC then back again to AC so by doubling the size of the drive you are keeping the same current levels on that first AC-DC conversion. All that to say oversized drives are rarely a bad thing as long as they are oversized within reason.

In the last decade or so the price of VFD's has come down considerably. This has been compounded by the requirement in many countries for any motor over a certain size to use them *helps with surge load on the grid during stop start as well as cleaning up some power factor stuff which also makes the grid happy by using less power. This is a deep rabbit hole so careful if you start to go down that path. That has effectively created a market for these small <5hp VFD's that are being used specifically to run 3-phase motors on single phase power and if it is rated specifically for single phase input then that first conversion is rated to handle that amount of power so you do not need to upsize.

The 3-phase input equivalent of the drive that you linked is this 5hp unit and is effectively identical. The only difference is probably where yours has the 3rd phase input terminal removed but if you open the up you wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

Mine is rated for 3 hp. Yes I don't like to push the rating on the drives.

But I don't pump to 4500psi so in theory you shouldn't see 3 hp. Especially since it has a nice soft start.

And if you are pushing the amp limits. Just slightly, slow down the drive,

If you don't have weird power spikes,
They seem to last just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom