ending dives with sharks circling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now if I can only find an op that offers great white diving without a cage...

That's easy!! Just look up a little company called One Way Boat Rentals.

By now I had started a slow, deliberate, non-threatening "I am definitely not the food you want" ascent... Two full minutes - an eternity - from the sixty-odd feet where we'd started. The baitball of big fish and the hunting sharks stayed with me for awhile, but thankfully began to drop below me as I cleared 30 feet or so. No safety stop today, thank you. I surfaced about 50 yards from the boat, then dropped and made a slow, deliberate swim back there just deep enough so as not to be flopping around on the surface like a wounded fish, all the while keeping my head on a swivel, watching for the sharks, catching the occasional glimpse of them still working the baitball beneath me.
That's the type of info I was thinking of. Appreciate you sharing the story.

All the serious suggestions in the thread are good, and the rest are entertaining. In my experience, unless you were feeding the sharks, (or the boat was), they are not likely to follow you to the surface, though it could happen. My advice is enjoy the encounter- because seeing large predators is a unique treat at most dive sites. When the objective of the dive is to locate sharks, when you do it is not fear that hits, but excitment. Just stay calm, hands and arms in close. It is extremely rare for a person in scuba gear who has not been feeding sharks to be bit by one. If you feed sharks, in my book you deserve to be bitten.
DivemasterDennis

How about feeding bears instead?

I went back and reread Thal's posting. Brett Gilliam's story (post 25) is chilling. Can't believe I missed it the first time.

Hey DUMPSTER, how are you brother? That kid of yours getting bigger?

I like that plastic bottle trick. Might have to try THAT.

Key thing about dealing with sharks, don't act like prey. Best defense on deco stop hangs is the sound of bubbles. Of course, if the shark in this video comes by to say "hi," I might be a little worried. BTW, these guys don't know what they are looking at (it's a female Great White, probably 16 FT or so long), but hey, it's entertaining!

This is off Wrightsville Beach, NC, near Wilmington.

An old story:

Last month I was diving as pivot diver on a blue-water night dive off Bermuda. There were two collecting scientists and a National Geographic cinematographer with me on the dive. About 25 minutes into the dive I saw a large shark. It came toward me and I pushed it away with my light. I pulled on the tethers to signal the other divers and the shark went toward the photographer. He saw it and, of course, began filming. The other two divers followed the plan for such incidents. They detached their tethers, came in to me and then released their tethers. I dropped my tether and signaled them to surface. The three of us ascended, facing outward, at a normal rate. I watched the shark and photographer. The shark turned toward us and circled around us near the surface. I dropped a Dietzman Death Square that I carried for such occasions, the shark followed it as it sank. I told the two divers to enter the zodiac. As they clambered into the boat the shark came right back up, but stopped at the photographer, who, of course, began filming again. I dove back down to the photographer. When I got to him the shark had gone back toward the surface and was directly above us. I dropped the photographer's tether, we ascended back to back, the shark swam off about 20 feet and was just at the limit of my light. I waited until the camera was in the boat and the photographer was starting to climb aboard. I dropped another Death Square and as the shark dove after it, I quickly followed him aboard.

BTW: Greg Dietzman, a tech at WHOI got the idea that sharks would follow little squares (anybe 3x3 inches) of galvanized sheet metal, and it worked, at least long enough for us to get back in the boat. They became know as "Dietzman Death Squares."

Hey DUMPSTER, how are you brother? That kid of yours getting bigger?

I like that plastic bottle trick. Might have to try THAT.

n.

Thanks, getting bigger. The bottle trick was just somethign I saw on You tube and thought it was cool.

Here's a video of my youngest one a few months ago. The Go Pro was head mounted which is not good for surface shots, i think.

Freediving Palm Beach - YouTube

This one was diving in the bay locally with a hand held Go-Pro using tanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yv5A4R1cno

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom