ending dives with sharks circling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, thats not what he said. You calling a new diver crazy or stupid, show's your inability to lead as an instructor- you should know better...

Originally Posted by dumpsterDiver :

Getting bumped by bullsharks was cool? You are either stupid or crazy.....and those traits are not mutually exclusive.

Well read it again... He said "It was cool".....And YOU should "know better" when someone is trying to make an attempt at humor.

And BTW, I implied quite strongly that it is possible that he is crazy AND stupid.... .. :D

Walter posted a quite tense experience they had with a bull shark

But from what I've read here (and my limited experience with them) normally, sharks don't seem to pay real close attention to divers

Originally Posted by dumpsterDiver :

Getting bumped by bullsharks was cool? You are either stupid or crazy.....and those traits are not mutually exclusive.

Well read it again... He said "It was cool".....And YOU should "know better" when someone is trying to make an attempt at humor.

And BTW, I implied quite strongly that it is possible that he is crazy AND stupid.... .. :D

Cool or not cool- doesnt matter... Calling someone crazy and stupid because of ....? Not the best way to get the point across to someone who may not know better... Smiley face or no smiley... I doubt you would say that on a regular basis to people you dont know when your face to face.

no no no...no feeding of sharks for me. I don't know how common swimming with sharks is, but my dive instructor has a video of a shark swimming around them in the Bahamas while he was diving off the live aboard Julienne. My thinking is this. If you're underwater, then you're just another marine lifeform. If you're on the surface, then you're a wounded marine lifeform. Surfers are more likely to be attacked than divers I think (no factual data to back that up, just anectdotal) thus my concern.

I had thought about trying to keep eye contact, if only to know what they're doing. I know they're most sensitive on the snout and punching them (easier said than done I'm sure) might work. And I've even seen on the discovery channel if you swim TOWARDS them then they lose interest in a hurry (gotta love shark week). It's just the actual practice of surfacing and getting on the boat without attracting a circling shark to begin with is my concern.

Another thing. Vertical or horizontal on the surface? Again, horizontal probably looks more like fish, especially with fins on.

NO, you do NOT watch sharks to keep an eye on them..... You watch sharks conspicuously so THEY know you are keeping an eye on them. Any one of them can shoot in take off most or all of your calf and if you did not have a stick or weapon there would be absolutely nothing you could do about it, even if you watched them really well.

Of course that hardly ever happens, (except to a local guy about 8 months ago).... but the point is that.. sharks are not stupid, they are good predators, these types of predators know where you are looking, they will try to sneak behind you and if they get in that position, they may be more emboldened than otherwise.....

You don't let a curious, stray dog trot right up behind you without turning to face it (if you have a choice)... I've seen COUNTLESS times where (when carrying a dead fish) a small shark will begin following the diver, but the second you spin round and give them the evil eye, they bolt.

When this happens with a much larger shark, their response is often considerably less deferential. We have to realize that we are bluffing, a big shark could easy kill a diver... So I try to take on an attitude of : "I SEE you", "I will NOT let you get behind me", I am NOT trying to evade you, and if you come in that close again..I'm going to poke the crap out of you with the pole spear (I pretty much always carry).

It is hard to make generalizations because the situation can go from calm to bad quickly, if several excited sharks begin to become competitive around you. A diver could find themselves in a situation where the sharks have recently fed on a fish that was caught by a fisherman (or a spearfisherman).

There are many other clues sharks MAY give as they get amped up, but keeping you eye on them is important. That is exactly why a bunch of aggressive sharks can be very bad, you simply can NOT watch a bunch of sharks zipping around you, and if you begin to start frantically trying to spin around to face them, you can begin to look weak, worried and struggling...so that is why you can try to back into you buddy and ascend together, back to back, each try to watch a 180 degree hemisphere of water.

If you are not spearfishing and the sharks are not being fed, 99.99% of the time just watching them and letting them know you see them and are not acting "prey-like" is enough to ensure that you don't really have to worry about the other stuff.

Cool or not cool- doesnt matter... Calling someone crazy and stupid because of ....? Not the best way to get the point across to someone who may not know better... Smiley face or no smiley... I doubt you would say that on a regular basis to people you dont know when your face to face.

You are probably right; I am much taller on the internet..:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

And once again, I did NOT call the guy crazy AND stupid; I simply suggested that it was possible to be both...

Has this actually ever happened to anybody that didn't smell or act like food?

I've got the world's finest collection of pictures of shark tails swimming away, far off in the distance.

flots.
Well, yes and no. On the fringe of a baitball in Cocos, we were surrounded by somewhat aggressive sharks. None of us smelled or acted like food, but there were plenty of fish in the water in the process of becoming food. Your point is well taken though--in the absence of feeding stimuli sharks are generally not a problem. Baiting, chumming, spearfishing, etc., change the whole picture. When I was bumped by a silvertips shark in the Coral Sea we were indeed chumming the water a bit. Some would say I deserve to have been bitten, so I guess I was lucky. I assume they don't smoke or drive without their seatbelts on and thus do not deserve lung cancer or decapitation in an auto wreck.

Slightly off the point, I do agree that deliberate feeding of sharks is irresponsible, and not just out of concern fo diver safety.

You dive with several sharks everyday,you learn that you are not on their menu. Back in 2010 March Shark Week in Palau,we counted over 500 sharks in just that week. I was very lucky to be the only dive guide from Texas working (3) & (4) dives every day for almost a year. While 'rock hooking' in extreme current,you can encounter several species of sharks a yard away for 30 to 40 minutes. I carried a S/S 24" pointer which was mainly use to whack Titan trigger fish but a few times I had to tap a shark or two. Enjoy my big smiley friends,they are harmless unless you 'chum' or feed them. Dive safe...Have fun!

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Just to lighten things up, a relevant joke: My SCUBA instructor always stressed that you should never go diving alone. If you have equipment problems, your buddy can help you. If you run out of air, your buddy can help you. If you meet an aggressive shark, your odds are 50-50 instead of 100%.

Shark Attack at 57 metres in Papua New Guinea - YouTube

Watch this video...no bait, no fishing, the divers were very carefully watching.... the guy got away from a bite by luck.

Yes carefully watching while calling them with a plastic bottle... They werent exactly minding their own business were they...? Read the notes from the video you posted...

Their own words
...The two days previous we had been shark calling (rubbing a plastic bottle to create vibrations and sound that attract sharks.....-----"We think that what happened was that at that depth the shark would have been hunting and zoned in on the vibrations to go for a kill,(which was the plastic bottle) upon realising we weren't food but a couple of idiot divers it turned round and went away.

Back
Top Bottom