Lionfish Hunting in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a clip on simple prep for a quick snack.

:confined: Get out of the jar!

Lionfish is excellent eating. Many times when the DM spears a lionfish, he will feed it to the yellow tail snapper that are following us around. Or if he sees a Moray or grouper, they get it. They save the biggest ones to take home to their families. Check out this video - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=217552784932224. I don't know who shot it.

@SteveEgner

where were those lionfish caught? They are huge?

We speared those while diving with Hopkins Divers out of the Hamanasi Resort in Hopkins, Belize. They offer the option to hunt lionfish on their barrier reef dives, and we loved it. I found the hunting thrilling but safe; even my newly certified 15 and 13 year old children participated. This is Zoe, watching our DM, Elvis, filleting the fish:

IMG_0070.jpg

And our DM Sam, giving Rhys and Zoe some pointers. Sam is a Lionfish whisperer:

IMG_0072.jpg

Hello Cajun, I sure hope you give us a good trip report with pics when you get back. We were only at FI once, but we enjoyed it very much. Didn't like everything that was going on last spring with them, but hopefully all of that is in the past and they are making improvements. Would not mind going back there this year.

Hello Cajun, I sure hope you give us a good trip report with pics when you get back.

Her post is two years old. If she doesn't get on on this thread- she may be at Media Luna right now instead. We're all waiting for an update from Fantasy Island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom