Advice for new divers on Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rdogilvie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all- this site has been incredibly useful in helping us research a one-week trip to Roatan in mid-March 2024- you are all pretty inspirational! For quick background, we are a family of 4. Our kids are aged 15 and 17- and we are all recently OW certified. We are well travelled- but in the past have focused mostly on snorkelling. That said- we're a fairly adventurous family and do a lot of land-based activities as well- but we've started to fall in love with diving. But, we will likely only dive once or twice a day so we have time for some other adventures. I don't want to offend anyone, but we are also not into crowds- and hence- would really like to avoid the cruise ships and any related experiences with big dive operations that support large groups of divers. Partly based on this, we have rented a property mid-island (First Bight). I've already checked cruise schedules. We come in on a Monday (a travel day) and I can see ships coming in Tues/Wed/Thurs. We will avoid West Bay/ West End on these days- but likely explore that area later in the week. There is clearly amazing diving on both the east and west sides (for different reasons). That was very long winded- but here's my question. We will be very close to Barefoot Divers- and they look well respected. We will dive with them (for sure) but I'm trying to determine if we try out a few other operators so that we can experience different parts of the island? So- the question is if we spend the whole week diving with one place- or split things up so we can get a few dives in the east side and a few in the NW? (for example- 3-5 dives with barefoot and 3-5 with and operator on the west side)? Reef House and Dive Pangea looked very interesting too on the east- but that maybe spreading ourselves too thin. Thanks in advance for any advice/ tips/ recommendations!

First Bight meaning Parrot Tree?

I really liked Barefoot.
I would dive with them for the entire trip
Great equipment and professionally run operation
They are close to some of the best diving on the south side
you might be able to have a private boat and dm for you and your family
You will get great service

Dive a few places. There is a different experience on the south side than on the west/north. Barefoot is very well respected.

In the West, don't avoid West End (although I find West Bay is never quiet). On cruise ship days, just plan to stay the day. Come early, do the two dives, then go sit at Tita's or Luna Beach for a late lunch and walk the beach between West End and West Bay. Remember cruise ship time means Miami time and they are often cleared out of the village by 3-4pm. So you can do a nice dinner in West End.

As for dive shops with smaller operations, I like Island Diving Center out of Brisas del Mar. There is also a restaurant, pool and beach there. And it's beyond the pavement in West End so only the most adventurous cruise shippers venture there.

First Bight meaning Parrot Tree?
Hi Doc- it's actually a house rental on the coast of First Bight (around Paradise Point). Apparently there are some nice snorkel/ dives site right off the coast from the house. It sounds like snorkelling can be fantastic there if conditions are right- but often tough on entry/ exit because of waves and the iron coast.

Dive a few places. There is a different experience on the south side than on the west/north. Barefoot is very well respected.

In the West, don't avoid West End (although I find West Bay is never quiet). On cruise ship days, just plan to stay the day. Come early, do the two dives, then go sit at Tita's or Luna Beach for a late lunch and walk the beach between West End and West Bay. Remember cruise ship time means Miami time and they are often cleared out of the village by 3-4pm. So you can do a nice dinner in West End.

As for dive shops with smaller operations, I like Island Diving Center out of Brisas del Mar. There is also a restaurant, pool and beach there. And it's beyond the pavement in West End so only the most adventurous cruise shippers venture there.
Thanks Katie- good info! I'll look into that dive centre as well...

I really liked Barefoot.
I would dive with them for the entire trip
Great equipment and professionally run operation
They are close to some of the best diving on the south side
you might be able to have a private boat and dm for you and your family
You will get great service
Excellent- thanks! Yes- I've heard good things and their facilities look outstanding.

Check the cruise lines offered excursions, and avoid those activities on the days they are in port. Probably things like zip lines, the animal parks, beach clubs, the down town areas. Like someone already said to they tend to pull out early, so downtown in the late afternoon not a problem.

Coxen Hole at night, not a great idea.

Check the cruise lines offered excursions, and avoid those activities on the days they are in port. Probably things like zip lines, the animal parks, beach clubs, the down town areas. Like someone already said to they tend to pull out early, so downtown in the late afternoon not a problem.

Coxen Hole at night, not a great idea.
great advice too- thanks! Yes- we've read of a few areas to avoid in general- e.g. French Harbour at night...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom