Help with Best of March/April in Roatan/ Utila / Guanaja

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akaPD

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A few of my dive friends and one non-diver is planning a trip end of March into April for a week in Roatan and the other islands. I am seeing posts about whale sharks in Utila at this time and crossing my fingers for the best. We are not resort-people and will likely opt for some local shops. Would love suggestions on dive shops or awesome DMs for my friend who wants to get their AOW there. I'm pretty flexible on moving around and diving in any of the three islands, but noticed trying to get to all three in 7 days with a limited ferry schedule could be a challenge. It's unclear what time morning dives / afternoon dives start and end, so trying to squeeze in dives the same day as taking the ferry might not work out. We'd be open to chartering flights to fit our own schedule, but wondering how much it would be from let's say Utila to Guanaja and then Guanaja to Roatan for 4 people. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

To accomplish what you’re proposing would, after a quick estimate be a minimum of $15,000 for three people over that weeklong.

The ferry simply will not work. This would instead include moving you by air (on demand) then a quick transfer to a boat on any given island, each one of the three… and then get you diving without any additional loss of transit time, it could possibly be done for that kind of money but I would schedule it closer to $22,000

if you’re in for that $22,000 if you throw in an extra five grand? I guarantee you’ll see whale sharks… or I’ll give you your $5000 back!

Pick one island. Enjoy your stay! your friend getting certified for open water is going to be a challenge enough without jerking them around from place to place to place. Just take a long breath you can come back and you’ll see your whale sharks. Someday. All you gotta do is keep diving.

The ferry would certainly derail your plans. I think you should instead focus on one island for the week to keep costs reasonable, and not waste days trying to travel instead of enjoying the island. If whale sharks are on your wish list, Utila is the most likely spot. Spend the week there. Lots of dive ops. Some inexpensive accomodations. Just know it doesnt have some of the amenities that you may want, but seems like it may check the most boxes from what you say above. Listen to what Doc is saying. Hes right.

Thanks everyone! Any recos on dive shops for Utila? Are there specific dive sites the whale sharks like to hang around?

I would pick one spot and stick to it, if you only have a week you'll waste so much valuable diving and relaxing time traveling from place to place, packing and unpacking. If you had 14-20 days it would be different.
If you go to Utila, stay at Treasure Beach, it's beautiful and the snorkeling from the beach is great. Both We-Dive Utila and Tank'd Dive Shop serve Treasure Beach. Check out their facebook page it get an idea :- www.facebook.com/utilabeach

I agree with everyone else, for a week I would pick one and dive your heart out. If you wanted to do more than one spot there is a live abord (Roatan Aggressor) that hops around the islands. If trying to hit everything in a short time that would probably be your best bet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom