Trip Report Guanaja, Bay Islands, Honduras-- February 6-16, 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great report! On the non-diving topside part, were there sandy beaches, and were biting no-see’ums an issue like in Roatan? People often ask for non-divers and beach lovers.

Thank you. Love Guanaja. Did you get to do a Black Rock Canyon?

Great report! On the non-diving topside part, were there sandy beaches, and were biting no-see’ums an issue like in Roatan? People often ask for non-divers and beach lovers.
There is no direct sandy beach sunbathing access directly from the resort. Just a straight shot down to the boats. No See-ums did exist. A few people had encounters. I did not and no one else really complained either. I came prepared, but had no issues. That being said, go prepared.

For people who aren't in a group of 8+ and getting help from the resort to book a flight from Roatan, you indicated:

There are really 2 options for getting to the island of Guanaja. Option 1 is to fly into Roatan on whatever airline works best for you and then catch one of the daily Lanhsa Airline commuter flights to Guanaja that requires a brief stop in La Ceiba on the Honduras mainland before hopping back across to Guanaja. Option 2 is to look at flights that route you directly to La Ceiba without going to Roatan first (there are various options from the continental USA) and then catch a Lanhsa flight direct to Guanaja.
I wonder how often the trip there, and the trip home, happen in one day? I ask because many people are working and find getting > a week off troublesome, so a destination that's 2 days to get to and 2 days to get back looks less attractive (this topic came up in the past discussing Dominica, though I don't recall what travel times are currently...IIRC, it was no longer that way).

I get that your group had a different arrangement; did you guys get there (and later back) within a single day?

For people who aren't in a group of 8+ and getting help from the resort to book a flight from Roatan, you indicated:

I wonder how often the trip there, and the trip home, happen in one day? I ask because many people are working and find getting > a week off troublesome, so a destination that's 2 days to get to and 2 days to get back looks less attractive (this topic came up in the past discussing Dominica, though I don't recall what travel times are currently...IIRC, it was no longer that way).

I get that your group had a different arrangement; did you guys get there (and later back) within a single day?
I think it will be difficult to get there in one day unless you charter a flight with Lanhsa instead of using their normal operating flight. Getting back home I believe is possible the same day. You can charter a flight with a smaller group, but of course the per person cost will go up accordingly.

If I am not mistaking, most international flights arrive to RTB between noon and 2. There is also a ferry that leaves around 4 for Guanaja. Should make same day travel easy. Of course, chartered plane is also not too bad :)

If I am not mistaking, most international flights arrive to RTB between noon and 2. There is also a ferry that leaves around 4 for Guanaja. Should make same day travel easy. Of course, chartered plane is also not too bad :)
Unfortunately, there is only one flight per day (Monday thru Saturday only) from Roatan to Guanaja and it departs at 6:50am.

Yes, but you can charter planes from RTB to guanaja. 20 min flight. Groups of 4, 8, 20 gets different size plane just for your group. They eliminated scheduled flights to guanaja once opened a ferry. I have never taken a ferry, however, I think, it is 1.5 hrs ride. Supposedly it is nice, however, I have not tried it. I have been trying to get a first hand account of that experience, but can not find anyone. However, charter plane business is the same and fares are comparable to a round trip ticket. I am not taking chances on the ferry until I find out more and will continue to charter until then.

Back
Top Bottom