Roatan for Solo Traveler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gizbar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone, I just booked a last minute trip to Roatan for February/March. I'm a master diver with over 200 dives, with some tech training as well, and want to focus on my photography this trip. Looking for dive shop or resort recommendations that would give me a well rounded trip of 2-4 dives/day over 8 days. So far I've reached out to Turquoise Bay, SeaGrape, Roatan Divers, West End Divers, and Sun Divers. Any thoughts on these places or other shops/resorts I should be checking out?

Thank you!

There’s also Marble Hill resort. I haven’t been there yet, going in May.

Hi everyone, I just booked a last minute trip to Roatan for February/March. I'm a master diver with over 200 dives, with some tech training as well, and want to focus on my photography this trip. Looking for dive shop or resort recommendations that would give me a well rounded trip of 2-4 dives/day over 8 days. So far I've reached out to Turquoise Bay, SeaGrape, Roatan Divers, West End Divers, and Sun Divers. Any thoughts on these places or other shops/resorts I should be checking out?

Thank you!
I think it’s hard to find a bad dive shop in Roatan. Although turquoise Bay is a bit afoot from the other three. You should check out how many people are on the boats though. If you really want to focus on photography, maybe go with a shop that doesn’t have a ton of divers on the boat. Remember, you’re going in primetime.

Personally, I like island diving because there’s not a lot of divers on the boat. Small shop, at the end of the village so it’s quiet. I’ll be there for most of March.

I was in Roatan first week of Jan on the Roatan Aggressor. Good trip. Might be a option.

I think it’s hard to find a bad dive shop in Roatan. Although turquoise Bay is a bit afoot from the other three. You should check out how many people are on the boats though. If you really want to focus on photography, maybe go with a shop that doesn’t have a ton of divers on the boat. Remember, you’re going in primetime.

Personally, I like island diving because there’s not a lot of divers on the boat. Small shop, at the end of the village so it’s quiet. I’ll be there for most of March.
KatieMac -just curious - are you getting a package throgh a tour operator or is is this something you line up yourself? I'm seeing some decent prices for end of April for a week at Henry Morgan departing yyz.

West End Divers has a webcam showing their dock. You can watch divers coming and going to get an idea of how full their boats are, at least now. I did a stay and dive package with them a few years ago and I enjoyed it. I was certified at Seagrape. They were good as well but I prefered staying a little closer.

KatieMac -just curious - are you getting a package throgh a tour operator or is is this something you line up yourself? I'm seeing some decent prices for end of April for a week at Henry Morgan departing yyz.
I’ve never been to an all-inclusive there. Everything is always been à la cart. So it’s all been lined up myself.

For the record, The flight prices have gone out of control since Air Transat stopped flying there.

I’ve done Sun Divers and Roatan Divers.

I liked Roatan Divers.

Sun Divers would mix air and nitrox divers so you’d get charged more for an air dive & their DMs were variable in my experience. Others in my group liked them though.

I’ve done Sun Divers and Roatan Divers.

I liked Roatan Divers.

Sun Divers would mix air and nitrox divers so you’d get charged more for an air dive & their DMs were variable in my experience. Others in my group liked them though.
That doesn't make any sense. A nitrox dive isn't different (longer) than an air dive beyond what's in the tank you use. Anybody that wasn't using nitrox should have had it removed from the bill.

That doesn't make any sense.
Not a lot in this thread has.

The OP wants 32 dives over 8 days, and the original list and follow-on suggestions range from “nope to not really” possible.

Only two doable options. But…

AKR now limits is AI package to a max of 20 included dives.

CCV is the only option on Roatan that this could be done by a fairly strong individual. It’s doable to get 5x a day, most mortals at Cocoview settle for four.

This subject has been beaten to death but is unfortunately argued by divers who are happy with 10/wk, thus having luxury time to find food. These are the same people who forget that if “all diving included” has any definition other than “unlimited”, it’s going to inarguably cost you $45 each.

Like Trip Advisor, here at SB we have devolved into “vacationing with some diving”. If @Gizbar
Is to be taken literally, he wants a dive vacation.

It’s also must be seen as an immediate disclaimer to exhort where we will be going next in a few months with no prior visits, or to studiously avoid AI resorts due to some odd “icky bad” mentality- without ever having done them.

The Roatan Aggressor (RAG) is appealing on many levels but mathematically makes no sense. Due to crazy fuel costs it largely sits off the South shore. You can see it via Cocoview webcam sitting offshore 3/7 days. At a 35% extra cost you dive the same sites as land based. If the weather and their budget was not an issue, it would be a great alternative- but it aint.

Roatan was made for @Gizbar but it has since 2000 tried to reshape itself into a broader destination for Caribbean vacationers. With the coming of Margaritaville, it’s a fait accomplit.

There are three AIs remaining, plus two AI guest houses way East (RHR & Pangea)

The remaining dive-centric AIs are CCV, AKR, TBR - but with broad variations even in those top 3. In this OP, the only algebra ends with CCV.

Back
Top Bottom