My Best/ Worst Dive places in Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorry for confusion but my point is OP Bill's experience is his own much like your's (other Bill) or mine is or was. Not disagreeing at all about year he went being important as well as time of year. but we can go to same island at same time and have different opinions / experiences. My point being its subjective and if one is interested in a place you need to evaluate it for yourself. Opinions are valuable but. You don't like a place I did is valuable information that should be evaluated by a person interested in going to said place. There's lots of variables to a particular location. I appreciate OP Bill's taking the time to list his experiences but they are just that.

Having only been to the Caribbean once, I am amazed reading the OP at the lack of quality of most of the places you mention. In fact, the highest ranking you give is to a place with a hotel with no wireless in the hotel rooms.

Perhaps our experience in Grand Cayman at The Sunset House was actually pretty fabulous. I thought it was nice at the time, but compared to your descriptions it sounds like one of the best possible experiences.

The wireless in the rooms was very flaky. That's my only complaint.

The hotel's restaurant has an extensive Indian food menu, and it's the best Indian food I've had anywhere in the world. You can sit on the deck at the bar, looking out over the crystal clear blue water, the cool breeze in your face. A few steps away is the dive shop, and people walking down to the water's edge with their gear for shore diving.

There's a fully equipped photography shop where you can buy or rent any photographic equipment you might want, and even take underwater photography classes.

Each day one or more dive boats go out in the morning about 8am until noon for 2 dives. In the afternoon you can do a shore dive or snorkel as you please.

There are some fabulous restaurants, and some very nice shopping is available on the island. (You can imagine, with all the rich people who put their money in the banks there.) But no restaurant had better food than the restaurant at Sunset House itself.

The instructors at the dive shop are very nice indeed. I suggest asking for Jackie, she's as nice as a person could be.

Some people reporting on other Caribbean destinations mention insects. There were no insects at all at Sunset House while we were there.

My ideal destination would be a place like Sunset House, except:
  • Wireless in the hotel rooms that actually works
  • A bit more friendly hotel staff
  • A bit more luxury in the rooms themselves
  • Movies in the rooms
But really, if my wife and I only ever did our Caribbean vacations at Sunset House, that would be perfectly okay.

Here are my opinions of all Caribbean islands I’ve been to in the last 20 years. They are ranked by favorite to least favorite. If you need more info on a particular island let me know. Also, please share your experiences as well because we are always looking for new places to try. If you dove some of the places at the bottom, please let me know what you thought.

[...]

Upcoming trips: St. Lucia ( Feb 2012)

Thanks, Bill, for the great compilation.

My wife and I are in the process of planning our first dive-centric trip in Feb/March 2012, so your detailed post and replies that followed are extremely helpful.

As a newcomer to Scubaboard (and fairly new to diving), I was going to stay quiet and just listen to what more experienced divers have to say. However, since you happen to be heading to St. Lucia soon, and we just returned from a week at Sandals Grande in St. Lucia in mid-Dec 2011, I figured I'll share my 2 cents.

As many of you could have guessed, Sandals Grande is kind of the opposite of, say, Scuba Club Cozumel. From what I read, SCC revolves around diving, and there is little to do besides diving. Sandals is first and foremost a mid-level all-inclusive (yes, alcohol included), and there is LOTS to do at the resort, but scubadiving is included in the price (which was why I agreed to try it out -- I'm not into beaches and I don't drink, so I have very little interest in all-inclusives). Guests can do a 2-tank boat dive everyday, and basic equipment rental and air fill are included. Night dive is extra ($80). I am not enriched air certified, so I don't know if Nitrox or Trimix are offered and if so, for what price. Sandals is very conservative (everyone goes up when the first person reaches 1000 psi), so it's not like you can take advantage of extra bottom time.

So the diving (as offered by Sandals) is probably not enough for most people looking for a dive-centric trip, but the resort will pamper you otherwise. 5-6 restaurants to pick from (not to mention you can eat at restaurants at the other 2 Sandals resorts on St. Lucia for free), thriving pool with swim-up bar, lots of young newlyweds if you are into people-watching, and the rooms have all the amenities (cable TV with 60+ channels, four-post king bed, AC, ceiling fan, mini-fridge stocked with free soft drink, safe in every room, large shower, and private balcony/patio area perfect for drying out our skins). Did I mention turn-down service? ;-)

Anyway, the diving.

The Sandals Grande is at the north end of the island, and from what I understand, most of the good dive sites are along the southwestern shore, so this means long boat rides (50-60 min each way). Even though most people at the resort party until late at night, there was a group of 10-20 people who were clearly there for the diving like us. We see each other at breakfast at 7am, and on the dock at 8 (the boat leaves at 8:20). Not everyone comes out for every dive, but in the space of a week, you certainly meet up with the same people enough times to develop a sense of community.

Even though my wife and I are fairly new to diving, we've been spoiled by some of the places we've been (Aruba, Curacao, and French Polynesia to name a few), that I cannot say I was blown away by what St. Lucia had to offer. On our first reef dive, we felt there was quite a bit of dead coral, and certainly less fish (both in terms of variety and quantity) than we remembered elsewhere. On Day 3 we went to "Piton Walls", which are walls at the foot of the Piton Petite. That was definitely better in terms of coral health and sealife, but would probably not make the Top 10 (in my short 45-dive career).

Don't get me wrong, we saw lots of stuff: spotted and striped moray, a snake eel, a few lobsters, lots of butterflies, lots of groupers, some parrotfish, a few scorpionfish, a couple of peacock flounders, a few porcupinefish, etc, but we definitely missed seeing some of things we took for granted elsewhere (e.g. sea turtles, rays and sharks).

I don't know how to post photos here yet, but I do have an external hosting site (SmugMug). Of course, most of the photos are not post-processed yet anyway.

There was a ship sunk as artificial reef (Lesleen M), which is apparently tiny by wreck standards, but we enjoyed it since we've never done wrecks before. It was only 60 ft deep, but viz was poor. Actually, viz was never great in the week we were there. Most days were ok, but nothing like the 150+ ft we've seen elsewhere. Air temperature was 31-33 degree C, and water temp very consistent at 27-28, so I never bothered with my 3mm shorty. Current was in general, mild to non-existent, although one day it was so bad that even the advanced divers on the boat surfaced 5 minutes early.

In terms of diver composition, there were 5-6 completely new divers (just getting their C-card that week), but there were also 7-8 divers with advanced certification and brought their own dive gear, so it's a mixed boat. There were usually 2 DMs, so more often than not my wife and I got grouped with the beginners, although it is my understanding the "Advanced" group didn't go much deeper either, since Sandals apparently had a 60-ft maximum policy. (Like I said, they are very conservative.) The Advanced group dove at all the same sites as the "Less Experienced" group, and at most got 5-10 more minute of bottom time.

Sandals filled the tank like we've never seen -- I had 2900 psi once, but most days I start with 3400-3600!! Since we were the "experienced" divers in our group, we usually come up with 1300-1600 left in our tanks. One day I had 2100 left! The average bottom time is about 40-60 minutes.

Anyway, I'm just reporting my experience at Sandals Grande St. Lucia, which is not a dive-centric resort. There were also some famous St. Lucian sites we didn't go (e.g. Superman's Flight), so perhaps we missed the best diving St. Lucia has to offer. Moreover, as much as we might have "complained" about the diving, my wife and I still enjoyed going out everyday, even on days when we knew we were going back to sites we've been already. We don't regret going on this semi-dive-oriented trip at all.

I'm sure you will have a good time in February.

:)

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, we saw lots of stuff: spotted and striped moray, a snake eel, a few lobsters, lots of butterflies, lots of groupers, some parrotfish, a few scorpionfish, a couple of peacock flounders, a few porcupinefish, etc, but we definitely missed seeing some of things we took for granted elsewhere (e.g. sea turtles, rays and sharks).

I don't know how to post photos here yet, but I do have an external hosting site (SmugMug). Of course, most of the photos are not post-processed yet anyway.

Ok, I think I figured it out -- I'm actually more used to BBcodes than this WYSIWYG mode....

Anyway, a couple of quick photos:

IMG2948-M.jpg

IMG3018B-M.jpg

I do think it's important to look into any dive destination that one may consider and see what is the optimal time of year to visit that gives you the better/best diving conditions. The time of year you visit a place can really make a difference in your overall perception of the experience. I have the flexibility to take my vacations at any time of the year so if I'm going on a dive vacation where the focus is diving, I want to go when it's "prime time" so to speak.

retroblader,
thanks for great report and taking time to post it. super pictures. probably not going to st lucia but great to read about it and your experience. its always good to be in the water!
Matt, I used to work with someone who had been a dive master at sunset house and it sounded then and now like a great place!

Hi!

We spent Christmas at Sunset House on Grand Cayman and had a fantastic time. Because surface conditions were unusually smooth, we went to the North Wall, as well as South Sound. We will return as soon as we can get another trip on the calendar.

I've dived fairly regularly in Grenada, and tried various operators. I agree wholeheartedly with the suggestion of True Blue Bay Resort, and their in house dive op, Aquanauts. I've occasionally dived the Atlantic side, but it seems like most of the dive sites they go to are from Flamingo Bay, then South. They usually only dive the Bianca C once a week.

In the BVI, I really love Virgin Gorda and Dive BVI. It's very easy to drive on the island, so I rented a car. We stayed at the Guavaberry Spring Bay Cottages, which are affordable and perfectly located very close to the Baths. You drive into Spanishtown to the dive shop to meet the boat, grab lunch at Dixie's just down the road for a cheap meal, then go snorkel at the Cottages private beach, just at the north booundary of the Baths. We enjoyed a sunset cocktail in the pool at th Baths Restaurant, then dinner at a table while we drip dried. Food was wonderful.

Pm me if you'd like more info!

I work in both San Andres and Providencia. Something to think about when planning your trip- yes there is a flight from SA to Providencia but there are very strict weight limits. If you travel with your own gear, you probably wouldn't be able to take it all in addition to clothes. The best option is to take the daily catamaran to Providencia. cheaper than flying, no weight limits, and this is how the locals go back and forth.
Dave

Bill,

That is some list.....I agree with your top picks but I 2nd the fact that you have missed out on alot of good T&C diving. Most people probably don't realize the winter months can be a little chilly there and the trade winds are great but not in the chilly winter. Cozumel has some of the best most affordable diving but the flights are going up and if you don't like cruise people it is way to busy for you, just stay away. Your to do list looks good I guess it depends on your taste. I am sure you could find some decent reports on those with a search.

Back
Top Bottom