Another explicit pee-valve thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very interesting thread and one my wife read and said, "Peter, here's your thread!"

My experiences generally confirm:

a. BE CLEAN -- the glue almost wants to come off if there is any oil.

b. Make sure there are NO restrictions, kinks, etc. in the tubing -- it seems that IF there is any resistance/back pressure, all is lost (or kept as the case may be).

Any other helpful hints?

I usually try to "go" on the surface with my suit 1/2 open. That means I can get the kinks out far more easily and give things a gentle "test run"

point (b) is the ley here.

As long as were on this thread, the only problem I have with my pee valve is that sometimes the tubing is compressed to much by the ambient water pressure, and it will not pass the pee out...which means an excruciatingly painful sensation, and it can't be good for you...
Any suggestions? I have tried to keep the tube as free from kinking as possible..

I usually try to "go" on the surface with my suit 1/2 open. That means I can get the kinks out far more easily and give things a gentle "test run"

point (b) is the ley here.

Same here. Only pop-off I've had was when I didn't do this and had a kink. That was...unpleasant...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

I've had the same issues and have heard that cutting off part of the end of the catheter, ala post #14 in the thread below, helps massively to prevent kinking.

Anybody got the McMaster numbers for the QD's we use on the Pee Valves?

There's now some caths that have shorter 'stems' which should make this less of an issue.

As long as were on this thread, the only problem I have with my pee valve is that sometimes the tubing is compressed to much by the ambient water pressure, and it will not pass the pee out...which means an excruciatingly painful sensation, and it can't be good for you...
Any suggestions? I have tried to keep the tube as free from kinking as possible..

What kind of tubing do you have on your valve? I use Halcyon valves that use the Norprene tubing and I don't think you can make that stuff kink. I do know your pain though, in a DecoStop thread they were discussing removal of the cath and suggested the "piss balloon". You hold the end of the cath closed and pee, it has been said the pee will pass right through the glue and it will just about fall off. Well not for me it didn't, as soon as it filled up it felt like someone shoved a knife up my "happy place". I would not suggest this method of removal, and I hope I never get a kink if that is what it feels like.

What kind of tubing do you have on your valve? I use Halcyon valves that use the Norprene tubing and I don't think you can make that stuff kink. I do know your pain though, in a DecoStop thread they were discussing removal of the cath and suggested the "piss balloon". You hold the end of the cath closed and pee, it has been said the pee will pass right through the glue and it will just about fall off. Well not for me it didn't, as soon as it filled up it felt like someone shoved a knife up my "happy place". I would not suggest this method of removal, and I hope I never get a kink if that is what it feels like.
I have what came with my DUI TLS 350, purchased with pee valve....It is too long, so it has to have a loop coming back down... it is maybe 15 inches too long, like for someone that was 6 foot 8 or more. Maybe what I need to do is to cut the length down ?

I keep the norprene hose long and "loop up". I also use QD fittings to keep the suit clean and to ease connecting in public. I use a QD with valve on the suit side, and a QD without on the cath side.

These are the fittings and sizes I use:

I use Rochester Wide Band and haven't had a leak in 150+ drysuit dives. I also use "Remove" when I remove the cath.

Henrik

Hey Dan I chose the stiffer plastic hose and ran it with just enough slack to not be uncomfortable.
I also use the barb only because I have had issues with the extra bulk of quick detach barbs.
My friends use them just fine with no issues I just keep it simple.
I do not need to trim the cath but I do run it up onto the barb far more than most.

I use only Rochester Wide Bands and shower every morning before putting them on.
You must do some prep trimming to make sure it is not waxing your junk removing the cath.
I have not had any blow offs since the beginning and first dives with a pee-valve.

What would be wise is to purchase some skin so soft cleaner as it melts the glue / adhesive used to hold the cath on.
Use at at the end of the day when showering post dive and you will not have many issues associated with adhesive build up from a week of serious diving.
The build up can be extremely painful when not removed every evening!
That is another thread entirely and not publicly friendly.

Good luck I have many barbs and extra hose that I carry in my save a dive kit.
If we are diving the same area I would give you a new one to try Dan or I can send you a spare to try.
I purchased 20' of hose and 100 barbs because of the buddies I dive with and bulk ordering was cheap!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

I have what came with my DUI TLS 350, purchased with pee valve....It is too long, so it has to have a loop coming back down... it is maybe 15 inches too long, like for someone that was 6 foot 8 or more. Maybe what I need to do is to cut the length down ?

This is what I did. My DUI came with long thick hose, looks like fuel line for a car. I never had a pinch off like you describe, but I did not like the service loop as it was distracting and I would feel a warm sensation when I did pee and kept worrying I was leaking. I finally started trimming it down a bit at a time until is was just long enough (about 3"). There is enough extra to take allow normal range of motion. I did have to melt a small 1/4 hole in my undergarments in the appropriate place for direct routing. It does require you have you suspenders on to hook up or disconnect and those actions are slightly more difficult with the short hose (the rubber one, not me :))

Allright. I noticed that the last reply to this thread was back in February but I need to ask this question. I too have recently installed a pee valve in my suit in preparation for some local deeper deco dives and nothings worse than having to take a leak wit 20 minutes of deco left. I bought a case of what I thought was the correct size. There are two issues I am finding. I am having one F$%k of a time getting these things one without getting the important part of this apendage stuck to the glue. Larger size maybe :wink:. Is the head supposed to be attached to the sticky part of these things? Also, how the heck does one get these off without screaming and contorting in pain? I have heard that WD40 is the answer but man before I spray this stuff on my boy I need to know if there are any other alternatives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom