Good LED dive light without breaking the bank??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am one of the rare one who didn't like the Dorcy/Penetrator 220 (6AAA) light. I traded it for Hollis LED5, which I think is a much more useful light. I like the new Intova Search Light too, but it is still hard to get one in hand.

If you don't mind the type of switch that comes on them, the Intova lights are hard to beat. They are less than $50, and come in a wide beam and a narrow beam version. My wife has both types and really likes them.

I don't care for the switch myself, and use backup lights that have delrin bodies and twist on/off heads. But they cost more than the Intovas do.

-Mitch

I agree with eelnoraa the Dorcy might not be the best choice for a primary dive light......

But as a back up - it is hard beat its combination of size, performance and price.

M

So there you go......

A miniwave for reef gliding and as your general primary light......a Intova Search light for wrecks, under rocks and other bright spot applications.....

And in your BC pocket a Dorcy as your backup.......:)

The well equiped diver.....all in black of course

M

Thanks to everyone for their input - I ordered the Dorcy and the Miniwave - will be landing in Bonaire in 2 weeks and 15 minutes from now (but who is counting...) and will report back. My husband likes the idea of the concentrated beam of the Dorcy (and we have old cheapie wide beam lights he can use also...) and I am excited to try the Miniwave.

IMG_0177.jpgIMG_0173.jpg

wpohlmann - glad the thread helped, have a great time in Bonaire - we did night dives every night it was great....

I did just get my Intova Search light - it is a huge light.....

First pic is Dorcy, Intova Ultra then the SL1

Second pic is SL1 on left, Ultra in center and Dorcy on right......

I will post results once I take the light underwater......M

Just back from Bonaire - so sad to leave... We bought the Dorcy and the Miniwave. I ended up liking the Dorcy better and my husband the Miniwave. I loved the Dorcy's range - seems like I could shine 100 feet away. My husband likes the broader beam of the Miniwave. Both were pretty wonderful for the price.
Four night dives (although one was UV - pretty trippy). Lights helped us find an octopus, saw a spotted eel catch and devour a blue tang, green moray swimming in the open and of course - tons of tarpon... Thanks for everyone's advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom