going to manly in (april to may) need dive budy or info about diving there

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as bracko says most sydney divers use a 5 or 5/7 combination, and the temps can vary quite a bit. Recent temps have been 20C, today they dropped to 16 ... a little bit chilly,

You won't see any GWS in Sydney. They do visit Sydney waters but sightings by divers are extremely rare. However, when you're diving at Shelly Beach/Fairy Bower in Manly you'll almost definitely see wobbeongs and Port Jackson sharks. There's also a good chance to see juvenille dusky sharks, they often circle divers at the edge of visibility and will sometimes come in for a closer look. I would be surprised if you didn't see any after a few dives at Shelly (as long as the vis isn't too bad). I have also seen blind sharks and (rarely) angel sharks at Shelly. It's a nice easy night dive as well.

You can also dive with Grey Nurse Sharks at Magic Point off Maroubra. The dive shops in Manly (Dive Centre Manly and Pro Dive) organise regular boat trips to Magic Point, but the dive site can sometimes get very crowded. Try and go on a weekday if you want to dive Magic Point. I would never dive in Sydney waters in a 3mm suit, most divers here are using 5-7mm suits. We often still have 20-22 degree water in April, then the temp starts to drop off quite considerably in late April/May.

>but the dive site can sometimes get very crowded

I was under the belief that there is a limit to divers at magic point? If i am right, the parks and wildlife would be keen to know this information.

well as i said on the facebook page of sydney diving ( don't know how many are on the fb page and sb in the same time so.

i will bring a D6 bare drysuit, and my 3mm, i think if i don't use the polarwear i will be ok, but drygove and eavy fin's is a down... still thinking.. i don't want to rent a 5 or 7mm since i will try to dive at least 20-30 time.. and buying one is hard here.. they must pre-order since they don't really hve a market.. well they have like 2-3 in store but not my size..

if the D6 is not too overkill i will dive with it.. and uninstall the dryglove (really hard to put back)

plane ticket are for 2 to 30 april.

Things to also do in the northern beaches...

visit Palm Beach and go to the Boathouse cafe up there (if your mate has a car)
go to the 'skiff club and have a few beers on the deck (it's a local icon)
head to Freshwater beach (my favourite in Sydney)
catch the Manly ferry to the city. When there go for a walk around the rocks and possibly do the bridge walk as well, but you need to book well in advance.

ahh... i miss Sydney in summer :(

Things to also do in the northern beaches...

visit Palm Beach and go to the Boathouse cafe up there (if your mate has a car)
go to the 'skiff club and have a few beers on the deck (it's a local icon)
head to Freshwater beach (my favourite in Sydney)
catch the Manly ferry to the city. When there go for a walk around the rocks and possibly do the bridge walk as well, but you need to book well in advance.

ahh... i miss Sydney in summer :(

So do I, it rained all summer long!

Back
Top Bottom