Technical Diving Reading List (add your book suggestions here)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Steve's book is a great first book on technical diving. A lot of it is about the difference in mindset. Jarrod Jablonski's Fundamentals of Better Diving is also a good first book, not so much for the specific information in it, but for the thought process.

Would non-fiction related to historical events rather than raw technical manuals/information be acceptable for this list? I happened to enjoy:
Wookey Hole: 75 Years of Cave Diving & Exploration by Jim Hanwell, Duncan Price, and Richard Witcombe
It's an obscure tome with tons of photographs and an interesting historical point of view related to the development of British cave diving. (and diving in general) It has a healthy amount of personal feelings and attitudes (in the form of log entries) as well. I purchased it at an NSS (National Speleological Society, related to CDS) convention in hardback before I started diving. I'm glad I didn't get around to reading it until after I started diving -- feel like I got more out of it that way.

I'm surprised nobody's yet mentioned Daniel Lenihan's Submerged: Adventures of America's Most Elite Underwater Archaelogical Team. Amazon.com: Submerged: Adventures of America's Most Elite Underwater Archeology Team: Daniel Lenihan: Books

The author tells a few tales about cave diving with Sheck Exley and other pioneers in the '60s or '70s, and also recounts stories about diving wrecks in places ranging from the Great Lakes to Bikini Atoll.

It isn't going to win a Nobel Prize for literature, but it's a good read if you love diving.

"A History of Oilfield Diving : An Industrial Adventure" by Christopher Swan

This book looked interesting... I've emailed the author who has advised there may well be a new edition this year. Those who are interested feel free to email him if you're interested in buying one.

edit: website to email Chris if you wish to.

http://www.oceanautpress.com/

Last edited:
Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson is a great read...
+1 for this.

Also, thoroughly enjoyed 'Raising The Dead' by Philip Finch which, despite being a very moving true account, is a very well-written introduction into the world of Rebreathers and Cave Diving in general. Bought it as a holiday read, started reading it at the airport and (following a slight delay!) finished it before we'd even landed. Sounds cliché, but genuinely un-put-downable...

This book looked interesting... I've emailed the author who has advised there may well be a new edition this year. Those who are interested feel free to email him if you're interested in buying one.

edit: website to email Chris if you wish to.

History of Oilfield Diving

Incredible book.
I have read Sat Divers copy, and hope to get my own copy when it comes back into print.

Diving and Physiology in Plain English, Dr Jolie Bookspan

The Expedition Manual, British SubAqua Club

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom