NACD Intro - 58cf Limit - Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what the hell is a slingshot?

so far cave divers are against single tanks, non cave divers are for it. is that about the score so far?

I took Intro ten years ago. I did it in a single HP100. I did not know better at the time. I just wanted to get in a cave. I never dove a single while I was at the intro level other then training. I bought doubles the day I got my Intro cert. Looking back, I would NOT recommend doing Intro in a single. I simply do not feel it is safe, or enough gas to deal with an emergency. So add one more cave diver to the "against it" column.

And what the hell is a slingshot???

Slingshot = Y valve.

Tapatalk by Droid

Ok, I see where this is headed. More comments on cave diving from the non-cave certified peanut gallery.

Leadership personell? Two guys got LOST in JB 2 weeks ago. Come on. With a single tank, the clock is ticking. Fast.
I see where this is headed, personal attacks and ego-maniacal chest thump rather than reasoned discourse. Not unexpected, but disappointing never-the-less.

As to invoking the JB incident ... that's just plain silly. What we see there is a failure of an instructor to supervise students properly (well ... perhaps it is a failure of an instructor to be able to supervise students properly, but the effect is the same). And, according to some reports the students were in doubles: "Sorenson said the students’ big mistake was using double back-mount tanks instead of the smaller single-tank side-mounted tank they needed in the tight space they entered. The larger tanks had wedged them in."
what the hell is a slingshot?
Slingshot, Y-valve, H-Valve, in all cases a valve that lets you attach two regulators to a single tank.
so far cave divers are against single tanks, non cave divers are for it. is that about the score so far?
"Score" is not the question, rationality is ... the topic here is, if I might be so bold as to remind you, "NACD Intro ..." No one is suggesting the use of singles for anything but an intro class, and even then, I, at least, am suggesting that, at a bare minimum, a single tank need carry two regulators.

Y'all are makin me laugh.

So, if I may attempt a summary, cave divers may opine that doubles are better, but it is not important enough to the community to change.

Non-cave divers say "your system looks okay to me."

Is that about right?

Tapatalk by Droid

No, this non-caver suggests that two regulators and a competent insructors are essential minimums.

Y'all are makin me laugh.

"your system looks okay to me."

Checking out a lady diver's system is a whole different type of diving. In that case I would say a snorkel is sufficient.

No, this non-caver suggests that two regulators and a competent insructors are essential minimums.

Here, here. Those are part of the minimums.

Tapatalk by Droid

Checking out a lady diver's system is a whole different type of diving. In that case I would say a snorkel is sufficient.

Erm, sorry, not following ... Is there a picture or something?

Tapatalk by Droid

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom