E-PL1: finally pulled the trigger on my "upgrade"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chile7236

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
so i moved a few things to move into the M43 realm...just picked up an E-PL1 and getting ready to order the housing. curious to see how much difference i will see between my S100 and the E-PL1.

cheap....that's why :wink:. plus, it will be a good upgrade for my daughter when i move on.

It is a fantatsic camera. Of course when I bought it new they came out with the 2 and 3 right away.

I think that going forward this camera is a much better choice than your original E-500 selection. As you add quality lenses you'll be able to build the system over a period of time which I think you would enjoy much more than the E-500 system.

Phil Rudin

I think that going forward this camera is a much better choice than your original E-500 selection. As you add quality lenses you'll be able to build the system over a period of time which I think you would enjoy much more than the E-500 system.

Phil Rudin

i took what you said into consideration and went this route...the only drawback is that i am already looking at other lenses :wink:

cheap....that's why :wink:. plus, it will be a good upgrade for my daughter when i move on.
Actually it is not cheaper. Considering the cost of the housing you will probably end up paying the same money. E-pl2 pt-ep03 housing can be now found with a discount so if I wanted cheap I would go for that one. If you cant find a deal on pt-ep03 than go for e-pm1 with $600 pt-ep06 housing.
If I would be buying e-pl1 I would definitely look for a used housing but they generally come with a camera.

The major difference between the PL1 and PM1 is focus speed. The EPM1 really took a leap forward in that regard. The EPL1 is more like a PnS when focus speed is measured. As they are rather inexpensive I would suggest the PM1 which is already a bit outdated with a 12mpix sensor and lack of touch screen. But the PM1 looks like a great UW choice.

Once you get the housing its hard to switch cameras as the housing is camera specific and cost more than the camera. If you do stay with the PL1 buy a backup. They are no longer being sold new and if the housing floods having a backup is a good idea. As you can get these for $100 its a cheap option. But they will get harder to find over time and the prices may go back up a bit if the market shrinks.

I just made the "leap" myself. Opted for Olympus EPM-1, Oly Housing, Sea & Sea D1 strobe & Sola 800 focus light & Ultralight arm. This will replace a Nikonos set up I've had since mid-80's. Can't wait to start shooting digital. Given the price on this system, I better get many years of use out of it!!:wink:

I also went the same route as OP with the E-PL1 and after a weekend of playing around am very happy with my decision. I looked at going to an E-pl3 first but when it comes down to it the cost of getting a second backup pl1and better lenses was too much to pass up on. In the end if and when I upgrade again the lenses and strobes will all move onto another setup would just need a new housing and body so seemed a no brainer to save a few bucks now and put the extra into lenses and strobes instead.

Back
Top Bottom