Learning from the military

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great documentary, brought back memories from our OWD course. They made us do an exercise they called "blackout don and doff with harassment". It wasn't quite as intense, they didn't rip our masks off, but we were blindfolded (paper towels in our masks), they tossed us around, loosened all the straps of our gear (everything from fins to the tank strap) and turned our air off, several times. It was, um, quite interesting.

Soldiers can still go to combat swimmer school. How do you think some of the Green Berets and Rangers get their underwater training?

We got it at the real Combat Diver Course in Key West. I thought the USAF did all of their training by Powerpoint :confused: Just kidding that is a lot of stress for the AirForce............

With these "safety conscious" times the OPs question falls under the suspect terrorist activity list put out by the FBI shortly after 9/11 - "seeking to develop offensive diver capability".
Would anyone with better control on the current situation in the US care to comment?
As has been said above, a good start before attempting to learn any "combat diver" skills is matching the combat diver phys. specs. Diet, exercise, a rigorous medical and meeting their physical conditioning guidelines comes to mind.
After that, nothing is preventing you from finding a team, developing a team approach to training and shoulder-bashing under water all you want.

With these "safety conscious" times the OPs question falls under the suspect terrorist activity list put out by the FBI shortly after 9/11 - "seeking to develop offensive diver capability".
Would anyone with better control on the current situation in the US care to comment?
As has been said above, a good start before attempting to learn any "combat diver" skills is matching the combat diver phys. specs. Diet, exercise, a rigorous medical and meeting their physical conditioning guidelines comes to mind.
After that, nothing is preventing you from finding a team, developing a team approach to training and shoulder-bashing under water all you want.

Just looking for information that's all. And lately, I've been seeking to develop combat surfing ability. Scuba is on the back burner until I can afford new regs.

That's kind of a stretch Deeper, being it's public knowledge since there are plenty of videos of BUDs training and these PJ videos. All of the Surviving the Cut videos show quite a bit. Him asking about training similar to that seems like a general question. He's not specifically asking about the methods taught, he's asking if it's available.

I think that level of training would be to much for what most divers encounter. The training standards for some of the better instructors should be adequate IMO.

I have a good buddy of mine who was in Special Forces and decided to try the Army's Scuba School, and after two weeks quit... Now this guy is in pretty good shape but he said that Scuba school was the hardest course he had been to...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom