Ultralight vs. Beneath the Surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickthompson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Canon S100 with Ikelite UltraCompact housing and a Sea and Sea YS-02 and am looking for tray/arm. B&H seems to carry a ton of Beneath the Surface, so that's where I started my search for arms/trays but I've heard a lot of good things about Ultralight. Coincidentally, you can get the same thing (below) from B&H in Beneath the Surface as you can from Backscatter in Ultralight:

Compatible tray
Handle with ball mount
8" double ball arm
5" single ball arm with sea and sea mount
2 standard clamps

Same thing, different brands, different vendors, both $255.07. How strange is that. Does anyone have any opinions?

ULCS is the "tried n true standard" , and they hold up very well. I own several arms and clamps, use them almost every weekend, and travel frequently. Have never had any issues. While I have no experience with "Beneath The Sea" products, they seem to have some great solutions and colorful products. Both companies are based here in Southern California.

The whole ultralight standard, regardless of brand, with a few exceptions, are usually around the same price. optical ocean sales has several inexpensive arm pieces. I bought most of my current kit from them and I highly recommend them.

The whole ultralight standard, regardless of brand, with a few exceptions, are usually around the same price.

There is no "ultralight standard" that I have ever heard of, Ultralight is a brand, also known as ULCS. In my opinion they are the "gold standard" in terms of quality, their product is top notch. I am huge fan of their products. - Scott

If you are not diving every weekend, or even every month, cheaper arms may be a better solution. The ikelite arms are a bit cheaper, and flex arms might be good for small strobes, shooting macro and fish portraits.

Back
Top Bottom