E-PL2 or E-PM1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeeParrish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking at my next camera and trying to stay on a budget but still get something that will allow me to expand in the future. I would like an option for wide angle later when I can afford it, macro right away (wet lenses are fine). I'm considering either the E-PL2 or E-PM1, both are priced nice right now. I am tempted more to the E-PM1 because of the higher video capabilities, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra cost over the E-PL2. Anyone have any opinions on which is a good candidate for a great still shooter and casual video camera? I've read the reviews of both and they seem to each have their own benefits. I like the built in flash of the E-PL2 over the snap on unit of the E-PM1, and I can get the housing for the E-PL2 about $150 lower than the housing for the E-PM1 so the E-PL2 would come out about $200 lower for the same initial setup. Olympus has a deal right now on the E-PM1 for $399, and you can add the 40-150mm zoom (for above water) for $99.00, which is pretty tempting. E-PL2 can be had in same config with zoom as a refurb set for $449.00 as well.

Could always cut off another $200 and get an E-pl1

The E-PL1 is what originally got me looking at the Oly PEN line since the E-PL1 is really a bargain right now. But after looking around it would only be about $50 net less than the E-PL2 due to being able to get the housing for the E-PL2 for about $150 less than the E-PL1. And while I'm trying to stay on a budget, I'm not adverse to spending more if it's going to bring either a longer life (i.e. I won't be wanting to upgrade so quickly), or some actual features that I would like or would be useful. Any way I go I would like to get the 40-150mm lens even if it's only for "on land" since I'm hoping that with this I can leave my older DSLR at home since it's pretty big and bulky when travelling (and I don't have or want a underwater housing for it) and I like to have a longer lens available for portraits, and wildlife photos.

From what I can tell the E-PM1 is essentially closer to the E-PL3 than the E-PL2? Looking at the specs the features seem to match closer there, though the E-PL3 has more controls while the E-PM1 has less buttons/dials but all the same modes etc. I also see some talk about the E-PM1 having a faster focusing speed (same as E-PL3) when compared with the E-PL1/E-PL2. So with the move flexible video and faster focusing speeds on the E-PM1 I'm really leaning that way for now.

Has anyone used both a E-PL2 and E-PM1 and did you notice any difference in capabilities that were useful? It's nice to see spec sheets and talk of "faster", but everything is relative, and sometimes "better" is pretty incremental and may not be worth the additional cost, other times if it's something significant it may be worth it.

---------- Post added ----------

Also, does anyone know if there is any significant difference in size between the PT-EP03 housing for the E-PL2 and the PT-EP06 housing (the one without the LED lights) for the E-PM1? I'm always trying to keep my gear as compact as possible and from the photos it looks like the PT-EP06 may be taller?

Woud lean to the E-PM1 right now. It is the same internal parts as the E-PL3 minus a few filters, exterior controls and tilt screen. None of which are "must haves" for underwater photography. Put it in a Oly housing and get a Zen Pen Dome and you have a very capable system at a very reasonable price.

Housings are all quite similar, the differences are so minor will not really affect space in your bag. Of course the housing for the E-PM1 is minus the "macro lights".

Woud lean to the E-PM1 right now. It is the same internal parts as the E-PL3 minus a few filters, exterior controls and tilt screen. None of which are "must haves" for underwater photography. Put it in a Oly housing and get a Zen Pen Dome and you have a very capable system at a very reasonable price.

Housings are all quite similar, the differences are so minor will not really affect space in your bag. Of course the housing for the E-PM1 is minus the "macro lights".

Thanks for the input, I'm really beginning to lean that way. After reading the review at Blue Water Photo and doing a little more digging around I think the E-PM1 is may be the better camera for me. I don't really like the flash on the E-PM1 not being built in, but it's the only thing I really don't care for and it's pretty minor overall. Since I don't have any dive trips on the horizon I may pick up the camera now while Oly has the deal on the 40-150mm zoom and get some use out of it above water and then get the housing later when I have a trip planned. It doesn't look like there is any problem finding the housing for $599 as I see it available almost everywhere.

hi Lee
The E-PM1 will focus much faster, get the E-PM1. If you want to use a wide-angle "wet lens", be sure to get the housing with the lights. Otherwise, you can get the housing without the lights. - Scott

one more + for e-pm1. The flash that you do not like is actually quite ok and BIG advantage is that there is no way to put it inside the housing without raising it. There are lots of stories about people forgetting to pop up the E=pl1 and e-pl2 flashes before the dive.
What I actually miss in e-pl1 - the ability to enlarge the picture inside the housing because you can not access the wheel

hi Lee
The E-PM1 will focus much faster, get the E-PM1. If you want to use a wide-angle "wet lens", be sure to get the housing with the lights. Otherwise, you can get the housing without the lights. - Scott

Sounds like the E-PM1 is the way to go. Once I made up my mind my wife saw this as a good fathers day gift opportunity and ordered a e-pm1 kit with the extra 40-150mm lens for me :).

I have to admit I wasn't aware that you could use wet lenses on the housing with lights. It would be great to be able to do both macro and wide angle and switch underwater. So what are the pros and cons for using wet lenses on the e-pm1 versus something like the Zen dome and a 9-18mm lens? After you mentioned it I did look and saw that Olympus says their PTWC-01 works, but are there other options that will work as well?

With the Zen dome and 8-16mm (or 14-42mm) how well does macro work, is there any way to still use a wet macro lens with the zen dome or is it a choose before the dive sort of situation? I can see that while the housing with lights is $200 more at around $800 versus $600, you don't need the Macro lens adapter ($50) with it, so it is effectively $150 more if you are going to buy that adapter anyway. Considering a Zen dome and 9-18mm zoom is around $1100 combined the wet lens wide angle may be an option to look at if it will provide decent results.

Is there a wet wide angle lens for the oly housing without the focus lights?

Good call on the epm1 by the way. Finally got the chance to take mine out diving this weekend. All I can say is Wow. I upgraded from a Sealife camera.

AFAIK you can not use wet WA lens with a port without lights. You also can not shoot with a built in strobe with it. Also there in an unconfirmed info that panasonic 45 mm macro lens works well in the lights port

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom