good diver operator in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abyss Dive Center. Excellent DM's and boat crew. Small boats, and you can usually pretty much pick your dive sites. I wouldn't use anyone else, although I'm sure there are some other good shops as well.

If you want decent diving, you need to go to Cozumel. Take the ferry across (starts at 6 am, and there are good dive centers near the ferry terminal on Coz). There really isn't much to see on the PDC side, compared to the Coz side.

As for the cenotes, you really need to be comfortable in enclosed spaces, and have excellent buoyancy. Many good dive operators for the cenotes in PDC (e.g. DiveTek)

I've just come back from Playa del Carmen. Not sure where you are staying but we stayed at the Riu hotels and I used the local ones Scuba Caribe and they were awesome. They ran safe dive profile, boats were well maintained and lots of staff also in case something would happen. All in all I would recommend them and use them again.

They brought us to nice dive sites, as there are still lots to see in PDC.

If you want decent diving, you need to go to Cozumel. Take the ferry across (starts at 6 am, and there are good dive centers near the ferry terminal on Coz). There really isn't much to see on the PDC side, compared to the Coz side.

I don't know that I'd completley agree with you on this. Yes, I'd say I prefer Coz diving, but that doesn't mean that playa cannot be enjoyed. Granted I've only done coz once, and play 3 or 4 times, but I'd say I've seen more large schools of fish in playa, more turtles in playa, plus the bulls. Coz, way nicer corals and colors without a doubt. The OP though is taking their 13 year old daughter, and playa certainly has some nice, easy sites to do where you can find some interesting and cool things.

I sound like a cracked record, but Abyss and Playa Scuba are both very good and won't stiff you on dives if you are the only diver that day.

Agree re The Abyss. Been a fan since 2002.

---------- Post added ----------

Yeah, Coz diving is more amazing than the diving on the mainland side. However, there are some interesting dives out of PDC, including Tortuga (heaps of turtles), and the Tarpon dive (off of the end of Tortuga) is super-cool when they are around. If you are lucky enough to spot a big Bull Shark--yoohoo! And a day in the Cenotes (I like Dos Ojos) is a must.

Abyss Dive Center. Excellent DM's and boat crew. Small boats, and you can usually pretty much pick your dive sites. I wouldn't use anyone else, although I'm sure there are some other good shops as well.

I agree...Abyss Dive Center. Dave (the owner) takes out small groups and really knows his reefs so you'll get to see the interesting small stuff as well the big. He even has some unknown reefs in his offerings so you'll get to see places that other shops don't visit. I personally like the fact that his focus is on safety as well as fun in the water.

Just a quick note, Abyss, Geofish, and Diversity are all taking online reservations but no longer have in-town shops. If you are interested in booking with them, make sure you contact them via email! All good shops in my opinion! PM me if you need more info or need another option :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom