Canon S100 with Ikelite housing - DISASTER!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a new Canon S100 with Ikelite housing. Today was the first chance I was able to test it out, and unfortunately it did not prove to work nearly as well as I had expected.

Straight away I noticed that the video record button was much harder to press/activate than all of the other buttons on the housing. At first I thought that the button might just be stiff due to the housing being brand new, but upon careful inspection I noticed that there was indeed a problem with the housing.

I can quite clearly see through the back of the housing that the video record button on the Ikelite housing does not line up with the video record button on the S100 camera. The Ikelite button acually lines up with the rim/side of the camera's video button, meaning that to get it to activate/record I have to apply a considerably greater amount of force than with the other buttons. It is to the point that my thumb actually started to hurt after taking five or six video recordings.

I've attached a photo showing this issue with the Ikelite housing.

I'm now in the process of returning the case and buying the Recsea S100 housing, but am interested to hear of any similar (or other) problems people have had with the Ikelite S100 housing. Is this just a manufacturer defect?

Also, how do users of the Recsea S100 housing rate it? What setups/trays/lights etc... do you have with the Recsea housing?

Attachments

• Ikelite housing.jpg
    Ikelite housing.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,294
Last edited:
I have the S95 with the Ikelite housing, and I find that it's adequate, although I cannot access every single function. Some of the buttons are somewhat difficult to press with thicker gloves in cold water too. However, the buttons seem to match up well. But then again, maybe you had a defective housing.

Either way, you'll probably be happier with the Recsea housing, where you can access all the functions easily.

Both cameras and housing have some manufacturing tolerances, means two cameras will not exactly be the same in terms of dimensions as well as two housings
In the case of mechanical housings like all compact camera ones it is possible that inserting the camera in a slightly different way deactivates a button, if you have tried all possible ways and there are buttons you can't operate return the housing to the manufacturer
However be aware that is they test the housing with another camera and it works you will not get a refund. So send it back together with the camera you own

Definitely looks like a problem that I would do something about like sending it back. Perhaps a manufacturing defect to have it the button 'off' so much. I'm stymied ,however, why the poster would call the issue a capital letter "DISASTER" I thought, when the title appeared, a massive leak on the first dive had occurred or the camera had exploded or something. But ,when I read the post, the issue would hardly come close to the DISASTER category. Certainly an annoyance, however, especially if you've eagerly awaited the product and find that it is less than what you had hoped for.

Yea agreed. Hardly a "Disaster" here. The housing is designed to work under pressure. Were you just testing this on the surface or at home or did you actually take it on a dive?

Sometimes the housings have to make some compromises. The buttons can only be so close together. I've seen divers modify the little rubber "grips" inside the housing to work better.

-Charles

So I recently purchased a new Canon S100 with Ikelite housing. Today was the first chance I was able to test it out, and unfortunately it did not prove to work nearly as well as I had expected.

Straight away I noticed that the video record button was much harder to press/activate than all of the other buttons on the housing. At first I thought that the button might just be stiff due to the housing being brand new, but upon careful inspection I noticed that there was indeed a problem with the housing.

Just sending my Ikelite S100 Housing back. Leaked twice (O-ring in place and greased as I have always done). The zoom function on it is very awkward to operate as there is not a spring in the housing so you have to turn the knob at the top and turn it back again for zooming in and out. Very frustrating and will really take some getting used to, if at all:-(.
Also, I found the shoot button is awkward to use. I found getting the right balance between focus and shoot difficult.
The rest of the buttons are very difficult to use with thicker gloves on due to the close proximity to one another.
Not fully functional.
It's almost as though it was designed & manufactured much too quickly and without proper testing or much thought process. I personally would advise everyone to try one out first and probably consider another option. Funnily enough I've ordered a RecSea housing....just hoping it is a lot better than the Ikelite Housing.
Thank You to Underwater Cameras for being so understanding and helpful BTW:)

HTH
Darren

Another vote for extremely dissatisfied with the Ikelite housing for the Canon S series. For the exact reasons mentioned above. Especially the zoom function. I'd send it back but I bought it here in Czech and they don't let you return things just because you don't like them :-(

TRY IT FIRST

So, the Ikelite housings for the Canon S series leave much to be desired. I would never buy another ikelite housing for a Canon compact camera. ymmv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom