Rebuilding older Mariner Compressor- A few Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob1252

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
on block.jpgoff block (1).jpgpieces.jpg

Greetings everyone. Just joined this site and it looks great. Very Complete.

I have an older Bauer Mariner which was sitting for a while, got water inside, so had to be rebuilt. This is a 1988 KM-FH according to the Bauer parts rep.

After rebuilding the cylinders and valves I find there is no oil pressure. I had taken the oil pump apart to clean it and may not have reassembled it correctly. This pump is marked Monark 35 151 023 N83. I can't find any info, like an exploded view, anywhere on line and Bauer shows it as a complete unit. Any help getting this pumping would be a big help. Already tried bleeding - priming from the bottom fitting without success. In the alternative, I would be open to buying a functioning replacement. I've attached some photos showing the oil pump.

Also, I have not been able to find out what the correct oil pressure for this unit is. I understand the third stage relies on oil pressure to lube and seal the floating piston and suspect the correct oil pressure is critical there. I'm guessing the pressure must be fairly high to be effective in that location.

Another question: This compressor has a final filter/separator which is pretty much just an empty machined aluminum canister with a relief valve on top and three ports on the bottom. The top and bottom are sealed by an O-ring and held on by a knurled collar. Internally it measures about two inches in diameter and about twelve inches tall. one port has a tube going up about two thirds of the way with two holes out to the side near the top. I believe this is where the air enters the chamber. Another port has a tube which goes almost all the way to the top of the chamber, open ended. I believe this is where the air exits the chamber. The third port opens at the bottom of the chamber. The drain I would guess. I suspect this is a repackable filter drier rather than one which would require a cartridge. Bauer has no info. on this and the rep tells me this filter was discontinued within a year or two after my unit was made. After reading a few threads in this forum mentioning a combination of charcoal, a drying agent, cloth packing and foam I feel I,m on the right track. If someone could explain how to pack this filter it would be extremely helpful.

Best regards to all,

Rob

Last edited:
Hi Rob,

The oil pump is only sold as a complete unit. Also, there is no rebuild kit. Bauer's part number is N83. I carry oil pumps to fit this part number and have Dealers throughout the US and Internationally who sell direct to compressor owners as well as help maintain their equipment.

Also, the filter canister you are describing is an oil and water separator. there is no chemical packed in this nor a filter cartridge installed. it is used to separate the water and oil moisture from the air prior to drying and cleaning. the excess moisture that is separated is then dumped out of the bottom of this canister as you described.

Have a great day!
Gabe

Rob - send me a PM. I think I have a schematic for that pump

Jeff

I have a Mariner compressor that we purchased from a fire department sitting on two ASME cascade bottles, she fires up and runs like a charm as it has been taken care of. My question is how do I find out exactly what model of Mariner I have the block number is KB14874. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

I have a Mariner compressor that we purchased from a fire department sitting on two ASME cascade bottles, she fires up and runs like a charm as it has been taken care of. My question is how do I find out exactly what model of Mariner I have the block number is KB14874. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Call Bauer and give the block serial number. Although the block number you have listed doesn't look right. The Bauer compressors I have owned have had the block number stamped on the block beside one of the heads (usually the second stage). In the format ##/####/##.

Good luck.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom