cave depths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes i know that, and definatly felt the difference, but how does the computer? in the sea the computer can "feel" the weight of 3ata/ 20 metres, but not the case in the cave??

It is not the weight of the water above, it is the pressure from the depth. Even if there are areas with air pockets, those pockets are still pressurized and tranfer that pressure to the water below them.

Iam a padi staff instructor and tec 45 diver and IANTD full cave diver
This is going to sound really unkind - but how can a PADI Instructor and IANDT full cave diver NOT understand the basic physics involved here?

i have to agree the flag is up big time

This is going to sound really unkind - but how can a PADI Instructor and IANDT full cave diver NOT understand the basic physics involved here?

this whole thread is just precious.

Tom Mount will not be impressed! What your instructor number again?

Pasley and lowviz, cheers, of course i get,

To all the rest no so much thanks, this type of thing puts people off asking questions, if you not got anything constructive to say, just keep it shut!

Thanks for the original post and follow-up answers. Although it drew some heat, it was a very good question that brought some answers that makes it easier for less experienced divers to understand the physics of water and dangers in cave diving. Who knows? This question and the answers just might save someones life who might foolishly enter a cave without proper training, and then wonder why their air is disappearing at such a fast rate. Unless you really think it through, that 3m cave tube might not seem like such a big deal until you realized you aren't really in 3m of water. You would be amazed at the number of people, divers included, that do not understand the mechanics of an aquifer. So thanks for the diagram and more detailed explanations.

grassgreen,

Don't take it take it too hard. You did post in "Cave Diving". Dangerous places, rough inhabitants.

I have a full cave card. However, due to elapsed time, I currently consider it no more than a pass onto the gold line in a tourist cave *but only if buddied up with a cave instructor*.

Nothing "small" about that at all. I greatly value the training and how much safer it made me overall. Can't wait to get back, love NF caves.

Best,
lowviz

Holy Crap man. I'll leave this one alone, but you are making us IANTD instructors look bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom