Cave diving media questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Morning all, I have a couple questions about some cave diving media that you might be able to help me with.

For the record, my risk tolerance these days does not allow for cave diving. Maybe cavern in the future but not full cave. Just so you can be comfortable knowing I'm not going to use any info you provide to do something stupid, I'm just fascinated by the Florida and Bahamas hydrology/geology.

My questions:

1. Years ago I saw a TV special on cave diving that was interesting. One part of the show was about a cave located somewhere on Eglin AFB. The cave entrance was just a small crack in the ground in the middle of a pine forest and it was a no mount entry. I'd like to watch that show again.

2. What are the cave diving books I should read? I have Exley's 3 books and also the 1970's Into Blue Holes (I think) about the Bahamas blue hole expeditions. What else is there?

3. Has anyone done high quality VR videos of cave dives? If so, where is it available? I think that would be an awesome project. Imagine being able to experience a cave dives through a VR headset. Some people wouldn't make it past the Twin Dees entrance chimney even in VR I bet.

Thanks for your replies. Also, I do appreciate your pictures and videos from the dives very much.

Thanks. Safe diving.

There is a documentary - Ancient Caves that is out. It might be hard to find a place to view it though. I saw it in 3D - although I believe it wasn't filmed in 3D, but instead converted into a 3D film. Will give you a very realistic view of Bahama caves.

There is a documentary - Ancient Caves that is out. It might be hard to find a place to view it though. I saw it in 3D - although I believe it wasn't filmed in 3D, but instead converted into a 3D film. Will give you a very realistic view of Bahama caves.
Thanks, that sounds interesting. I'll look it up.

Jonathan Bird’s Blue World has several cave episodes you might enjoy - you can stream them on YouTube.

Also check out Jill Heinerth’s book (Into the Earth)
Thanks, I'll find that one.

Robert Burgess: The Cave Divers. Bernie Chowdury: The Last Dive (cave diving stories from the 90s, also the author's near-fatal accident and recovery from DCI). Martyn Farr: The Darkness Beckons. You could join the NSS-CDS and read Underwater Speleology (no need to be a cave diver to join). Michael Menduno has a great publication InDepth, which is free online and has a good deal of cave diving news. Guy Bryant: The Education of a Cave Diver (published a couple of years ago). Stratis Kas: Everytihng you wanted to know about cave diving (recently published - interviews with well known cave divers from around the world). Fiction: David Poyer, Down to a Sunless Sea (it may be out of print but you can find it at Abe books or on eBay. Jill Heinerth has written several books. Let me know if you want more! You can find most of these on Amazon.

Robert Burgess: The Cave Divers. Bernie Chowdury: The Last Dive (cave diving stories from the 90s, also the author's near-fatal accident and recovery from DCI). Martyn Farr: The Darkness Beckons. You could join the NSS-CDS and read Underwater Speleology (no need to be a cave diver to join). Michael Menduno has a great publication InDepth, which is free online and has a good deal of cave diving news. Guy Bryant: The Education of a Cave Diver (published a couple of years ago). Stratis Kas: Everytihng you wanted to know about cave diving (recently published - interviews with well known cave divers from around the world). Fiction: David Poyer, Down to a Sunless Sea (it may be out of print but you can find it at Abe books or on eBay. Jill Heinerth has written several books. Let me know if you want more! You can find most of these on Amazon.
Thanks for the list. I'll look them up.

Any chance you know the TV production that explored the crack in the first on Eglin AFB? Probably produced in the mid to late 90's.

Thanks again for the list.

I lived next to Eglin for years and dove in the area but I never heard of a cave on the base. Having said that, there are two parts to Eglin Base. The actual base itself and the area around it known as the Reservation. The Reservation is huge and has multiple fresh water springs on it that flow deep, fast, cold and clear. (Great snorkel trips) I never heard of any caves in the area but I imagine there has to be because of the springs.

A little bit North of there up towards Marianna and Chipley, are some deep caves. I was part of a crew surveying one on private property. We found an underwater lake that had some flow in it but we didn't bring diving gear.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom