Gear issue on dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Inland site in the UK in early spring so water temps around 8C. I remember my fingers being numb after 30 minutes in the water.

Stoney Cove????

I think that is where the majority of UK divers do their first open water dives!

Jon

Stoney Cove????

I think that is where the majority of UK divers do their first open water dives!

Jon

You're right, it was Stoney and nothing like swimming pool conditions in either temperature or visibility, on the second day of open water I think vis was down to less than 3m.

For anyone else doing their OW dives in the UK when the instructor tells you to buy a good hood and pair of gloves it's not just a sale ploy you really do need good warm kit, it's worth the spend, I was cold on the first day, second day I bought hood and gloves and nice and warm from then on.

You're right, it was Stoney and nothing like swimming pool conditions in either temperature or visibility, on the second day of open water I think vis was down to less than 3m.

It's been a few years since I last dove in stoney cove (over 12 years now!). Are the Vickers Viscout cockpit and the submarine still there on the novice ledge? I assume that the concrete bits under the pub are still there as well?

Jon

I probably would have aborted the dive since a have an airtrim BCD, and the oral inflator us a little flimsy, really only for emergencies.
I think it is important to point out that you would have thought through the consequences of subsequent equipment failure, and upon realizing that the power inflator is really a luxury, and not a necessity, you decided to continue. This would not be true for a regulator failure,

One thing to note is that had you required rescuing, the lack of power inflator would have hampered the rescue diver's efforts. This alone would not prevent continuing the dive but should be part of the thought process.

Back
Top Bottom