Gulf Coast diver looking to venture into the graveyard (help)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello All, I'm looking to take a trip to the Carolina coast with some friends who I dive with down here, my goal is to dive all three of the U-boats if possible in about a weeks time, I'd like to get some info on what time of year is best for the visibility of these wrecks as well as when they are likely to be the most exposed. Additionally I'd like to get some local opinions on what dive shops would best be able to accommodate this sort of trip, a 4/6 diver affair no cattle boat-private charter. I appreciate any feedback and I look forward to doing some diving in your neck of the woods.

The U-85 and U-701 have to be dove out of Cape Hatteras. The U-352 can be dove out of Discovery Diving in Beaufort. The Captain's Lady is a six pack. If you start the charter, you can choose the destination.

As a former Carolina Coast diver I can let you know that diving conditions vary greatly between the three sites and often even on the same site during a day. All three u-boats are equally exposed. The u-352 typically has great viz all the time with summer months being the best. If you charter the entire boat you have a pretty good chance of dictating the dive location; however, sea conditions and the Captain have the final say. Getting ideal conditions for all three u-boats within a 1 week period would be nothing short of a miracle. Besides Discovery in Morehead, also try Bobby Edwards at Atlantic Charters (aka the Pink Boat); and Dive Hatteras on the outer banks. If you allow the flexibility to dive some of the other fantastic wrecks there you will save some frustration in case of a blow out or poor conditions.

Bill McDermott's Outer Banks Dive Center in Nags Head goes to the U-85 and U-701. He runs a good operation. U-85 and U-352 are cake. U-701 can be tough because of high currents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom