New Illinois Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrMatson

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,
Just got my PADI open water certification done this past weekend at Haigh Quarry. Had a great time, I'm looking forward to getting in more dives but it's getting cold now and I'm buddyless :depressed: so I'll probably have to wait until the spring since I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle a solo drysuit just yet :D.

What you need to do is keep diving.

Buddies are difficult in the first month, but if you keep looking, by next month, you'll have too many buddies to count :wink:.

Here's the tips on buddies: look through your local Illinois subforum on Scubaboard, ask through your LDS about clubs and how to find buddies, and look for clubs in your areas. Clubs usually have Facebook pages, so check those out for buddies.

Hey, welcome to the board. Home town was Washington just east of ya. There's also some nice clubs up Chicago way. Keep diving and "best fishes".

Oh, don't give up for the season! There's still some good diving to be done, wet or dry. And plenty of buddies to be found as well. If you want to dive, just put up a post saying where and when and I'm sure you'll find takers. Oh, and welcome!

Hey, I'm in Chicago and pretty new as well. I just posted an intro myself right here just 5 mins ago. Btw, the king salmon are in close to harbors right now; I've been fishing for them. I wonder if we couldn't find a way to don dry suits and go spear fishing for them....

Thanks for the welcome all. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for more diving opportunities. I'm going to southern Texas in January for work and it's bound to be warmer there so maybe I'll get a chance to go diving some.

As for dry suit spear fishing in Lake Michigan... I think I'll hold off until I've got a few more dives under my belt, good luck with that though, sounds like it could be a good time.

It is Illegal to spear fish in Illinois waters, and in my experience the salmon are scared of the bubbles divers make and will be gone before you ever see them.

Welcome to the hardy souls!

I'm new to scubaboard and live near you (Bettendorf, IA). I will be completing my open water dive this upcoming weeked at Haigh quarry as well. I am planning a solo trip to Cozumel 3-10 Nov staying/diving with Blue Angel. Send me an pm if interested in joining...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom