Board grammar/spelling

GRAMMAR/SPELLING ON THE BOARD

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glbirch:
Your English is far better than my Polish. If I tried to ask for a cup of tea in your country I'd probably end up insulting someone's grampa (and grammer.) :D

Czy mogę prosić o herbatę?

Chi moge (in fakt our ę is pronaounced as French "en") prosheac ow herbate (a pronounced as in "akne", e as French "en").
Use it and you would get tea without being slammed :wink:

Having English better that somebody's Polish is not much of an achievement. But having English better than yours - that would do!!!!
Mania
PS. I was born in Poland and raised in Italy in an English speaking environment. What a mixture....I still sometimes use all 3 languages in one sentence.

Oh... you just HAD to bring punctuation into it - didn't ya!

scubafool:
As long as your message is easy to understand, I don't mind TOO much. What I really hate is someone who forgets all about capitalization, punctuation, grammar, & spelling as soon as they have a keyboard in front of them. I don't mind at all when it is obvious that someone is not to familiar with the Engilsh language(or American version of such) makes obvious mistakes, as this is one funky language. I make my share of mistakes, and some of them even make it through my "pre-post proofread", so I don't look for perfection, just an effort to make your post easy to read.

For some strange reason i lack the ability to grasp the finer points of spelling. I can write poems, essays, a darn good letter or two but i still have to make an effort to remember how to spell "which" ........

I guess at some stage or another i may have hit the ole noggin and disabled the 'spelling centre' in me brain ...... brain ? What brain ? :wink:

glbirch:
On an international board like this I concern myself with it less, as for many members English is not their primary language and my ability to express myself in their home tongue is likely just enough to get my face slapped. On the flip side, if someone can't make a minimal effort to make their point decipherable out of laziness, then I can't take them too seriously.

No way could I say it so well.. so ......
What he said...

I've noticed that Americans spell differently than the rest of the English speaking world so it would make it hard to standardise in any way.

Besides, I consider my spelling misteaks copyright :)

ninjamuzo:
I've noticed that Americans spell differently than the rest of the English speaking world so it would make it hard to standardise in any way.
Standardization could happen. It worked for the metric system. Everyone in the world is metric, with the exception of... uhm... oh... right... Never mind.

Back
Top Bottom