Nudibranch assortment from Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AMAZING pictures!!! Thanks for sharing them!!!

Adam

For a total nudibranch nut like me, this thread was cause for hyperventilation! FANTASTIC photographs, and what a panoply of amazing species. Thank you SO much for putting this up!

Wow! Just wow!

Gorgeous shots, of gorgeus subjects. Well done.
So, where is the other rider on the first pic? It would be easier if we had a larger copy!!!

Is it that big white blob, at the bottom, just below the lady bug?

AMAZING pictures!!! Thanks for sharing them!!!

Adam

Thank you! I appreciate that.

---------- Post added November 20th, 2012 at 02:31 PM ----------

For a total nudibranch nut like me, this thread was cause for hyperventilation! FANTASTIC photographs, and what a panoply of amazing species. Thank you SO much for putting this up!

I love Nudis too. They are one of the few animals that are spectacularly photogenic, but will hold still :)

---------- Post added November 20th, 2012 at 02:36 PM ----------

Gorgeous shots, of gorgeus subjects. Well done.
So, where is the other rider on the first pic? It would be easier if we had a larger copy!!!

Is it that big white blob, at the bottom, just below the lady bug?

thanks a lot! Actually, I don't see any other riders in the first shot, but check out pics 7 and 14. The one in 7 is kind of hard to see but it's there.

I actually posted these pics in a larger format, but there is an automatic feature here that reduces all images to the same size. I kind of wish they could be a bit more liberal with the resizing, I size mine at 750 pixels and that looks great on most monitors. Also, the auto resizing kind of softens the images a little. (hint) :)

And that white blob is a mystery to me. I'm going with an accidental deployment of his side curtain airbag.

Really nice shots.
Can you please write a bit about the trip? Would you do both land & live-aboard again? Did both have great diving? Where were most of your favorites? Suggestions? etc.... Not necessarily a review of your resort & boat, but thoughts on Bali & Komodo would be great.
Thanks

Really nice shots.
Can you please write a bit about the trip? Would you do both land & live-aboard again? Did both have great diving? Where were most of your favorites? Suggestions? etc.... Not necessarily a review of your resort & boat, but thoughts on Bali & Komodo would be great.
Thanks

Sure, I can briefly compare the two and I'll be happy to answer specific questions. First, I have found that if you are traveling to Asia to dive, you are going to be contending with jetlag for at least 48 hours. So, after visiting the area a couple times I realized that if I climbed right aboard a live-aboard as soon as I landed, I was upside down and miserable for a couple days, so now I always build in 2-5 days of land based diving (and sleeping) as a part of each trip. But I would always include a live-aboard if you are going that far.

Bali, at least the part I've visited, is great diving. I've been to Seraya twice and I'd go back again, although they have raised their prices quite a bit. The muck diving there is superb, and the resort is just beautiful. And the Liberty wreck is worth visiting again and again.

Komodo has a little of everything, but one of the reasons it's so productive for diving is that it's located where several ocean currents converge, so you have to expect to deal with significant current on some dives. A good boat with an experienced crew (important to research this) can put you on the sites at the optimal time to manage or even avoid the current. Also, there is some colder water in the Komodo region you don't run into in most other parts of Indonesia. You need to be prepared to encounter temps down to 70 degrees.

All that said, there is probably more to see there than in any other region in Indo, from reliable manta and shark locations to current swept pinnacles, to lush reefs and walls, to outstanding macro and black sand muck diving. If you can only do one trip to Indonesia and don't mind the possibility of some challenging conditions, Komodo is the place.

Great stuff. I really enjoyed it. If you are interested in nudis, next time in Bali, try Villa Markisa (right next to SS). Christianne the owner is a certified nudi head.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom