Komodo Trip Report - (July 2014 with Indo Siren)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did people solve the issue? Is it a good option to bring only the shortie (maybe with a 1mm shirt) and eventually ask for a hooded top half for the colder dives? Should I buy something in between just for this trip?

Ever since I helped care for a 15 year old girl after taking a hit from a sea wasp in Saba I won't ever think it is a good idea to wear a shorty.

For Komodo a 3 mil is enough for most people. To be safe be certain bring along a hood or beanie if you want... I am a total warm water wimp and have always been fine with the above in Komodo.

Last edited:
The Siren uses zodiac style tenders, is that correct? How crowded is the deck and any problems donning gear? What of tender re-entry system? My shoulders are very messed up and a good stable ladder is a must for me.

Yes the siren does use zodiacs, and when we were there the ladder was not the greatest to be honest, but they did say they were going to replace (not sure if they have followed through with this). My wife took her gear off in the water and the guys hauled it up onto the zodiac and that made entry far easier. They also half lifted you out the water if you needed some help.

On the siren itself the dive deck is very spacious. And getting into your gear is no problem at all.

Ever since I helped care for a 15 year old girl after taking a hit from a sea wasp in Saba I won't ever think it is a good idea to wear a shorty.

For Komodo a 3 mil is enough for most people. To be safe be certain bring along a hood or beanie if you want... I am a total warm water wimp and have always been fine with the above in Komodo.

More on wetsuits. Depending on the season, southern Komodo can get a bit chilly (22-26°C), at least for me. Here, I use a 5 mm.

More on wetsuits. Depending on the season, southern Komodo can get a bit chilly (22-26°C), at least for me. Here, I use a 5 mm.

When I was on board they had 3mm shorties that you could use. So if you have a 3mm full suit and then throw on the the shorty for when it gets colder then you should be OK.

When I was on board they had 3mm shorties that you could use. So if you have a 3mm full suit and then throw on the the shorty for when it gets colder then you should be OK.

I don't have a 3mm full. Only a 3mm shortie and a 5/6 two piece. I guess the best option is to bring the two piece and ask the Indo Siren if they'll have a shortie for the warmer dives.

When I went to Bali-Komodo this year the water temperature varied from a balmy 29*C in Tulamben to a chilly 22*C in southern Komodo. I had taken my 3mm shorty and 5mm full suits and needed various combinations of these on the trip.

Seeing another woman in the Caribbean reduced to a vomiting shivering mess with obvious swathes of tentacle marks on her confirmed my use of a fullsuit, plus light gloves as they also love to zap you in the hand while hanging on the floating bar if there is one.

Thank you for the report. I'll be going to the Indo Siren in three weeks.

With the restricting weight limits in the flight to Bima I have doubts about what suits to bring. In warm locations like Coz, Red Sea or Maldives I've always been very comfortable with a 3mm shortie. I've got a 5/6mm two piece (that puts 11mm on my chest) for when I dive locally, but it must be way too much for Komodo.

How did people solve the issue? Is it a good option to bring only the shortie (maybe with a 1mm shirt) and eventually ask for a hooded top half for the colder dives? Should I buy something in between just for this trip?

Hi Thanshin

My advice would be to take 1 piece of your 2-piece5/6mm set up. The Indo Siren has 3mm shorties and a few 3mm long suits for guest use free of charge (though they don;t have hoods). So use the shorty in the warmer water of the north and then double up with you own when you get to Padar / Nusa Kode / Manta Alley.
I took my own 4mm hooded vest and 5mm full suit.

the luggage excess is only about 1$ per kg so i wouldn;t worry too much about the overweight charges ;-)

Hope you have a great time - the crew are lovely and really good fun!

The Siren uses zodiac style tenders, is that correct? How crowded is the deck and any problems donning gear? What of tender re-entry system? My shoulders are very messed up and a good stable ladder is a must for me.

Hi Chilly

Yes the Siren uses the zodiac style tenders.For re-entry post dive you can either
a) climb up the ladder with kit on
b) remove kit in water pass up to tender driver and then climb up the ladder without kit
So if you have a dicky shoulder option b would be best for you.

@AlMitch - the ladders have been improved ;-) very stable now and deeper into the water than previous versions - here's a couple of pics that i think show the new ladder quite well.

IMG_9625.jpg IMG_0306.jpg

The dive deck is very spacious and usual form is that those setting up on the port side (where the platform is) are in the first tender so other divers don't have to try to squeeze past them. Its very easy to sit on the bench and slip your gear on and the crew will help - likewise they will also carry your tank to the tender if you prefer and help you put it on. My pal Chris has a bad knee and didn't wish to walk with her kit so each day Rahmat would carry the kit and assist her in the tender to get into the equipment- she really appreciated that.
There was always 2 crew members in the tender to hold onto as you stepped in and 2 on the platform to assist and help you out again - the boys are strong!

IMG_9156.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom