Padang Bai or Komodo or something else for 3 nights (Jan 25-28)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for this amazing advice. It does seem like north of Padangbai is more my speed.
At this moment, I am chatting with Wonder Dive Bali Tulamben in Tulamben. I believe it was JonnieB that mentioned them in a posting along with "support a local shop" (which appeals to me). Plus, they made one statement on their website that sounded exactly like it would fit exactly my scenario:
"Includes use of Olympus TG5 camera and private guide to help capture the critters of Tulamben and our beautiful underwater world."

Unfortunately no more bumpheads.

Thats so sad, do you know what happened ?

the big school of jacks is gone, George (the big barracuda) is gone, now the bump heads ?

starting to wonder if I will recognize the liberty next time I visit (it’s been four years now :()

Casualty of Covid. No tourist, no income, but the locals still need to eat.
I am still in the camp this is tourist gossip. The locals I know swear up and down that this isn't the case and the bumpheads are still around. They are simply not schooled up and are hunting different water.

Things change. There was once a time not all that long ago when there were no bumpheads on the Liberty every night....and then they were there...and now they are not. Dive sites change. The ocean is what it is.

I may very well be wrong, but I have yet to meet one person who has first-hand knowledge of any bumphead mass extinction caused by local fishermen. I would have been a big deal in Tulamben, and angered a number of community members. Someone would have posted pictures somewhere in disgust or excitement, but to date, none have ever surfaced.

I just ain't buying it.

I am still in the camp this is tourist gossip. The locals I know swear up and down that this isn't the case and the bumpheads are still around. They are simply not schooled up and hunting different water.

Things change. There was once a time not all that long ago when there were no bumpheads on the Liberty every night....and then they were there...and now they are not. Dive sites change. The ocean is what it is.

I may very well be wrong, but I have yet to meet one person who has first-hand knowledge of any bumphead mass extinction caused by local fishermen. I would have been a big deal in Tulamben, and angered a number of community members.

It was told by my Balinese guide for 18 years.

I have a business trip into Bali where I scheduled some extra days at the end - specifically Jan 25 to 28 (flight out at 6pm). That gives me 3 nights to get in the water. I am AOW diver but not highly experienced and definitely an infrequent diver (my wife would rather be on land-based safari). Been diving in Florida, Hawaii and Mexico with the most exotic stuff being cenote/cavern exploring or looking for crocodiles at night in a Tulum backwater. My most enjoyable dives have been one guide and just myself.
Initially, I thought diving in Bali would be great but I am now a bit worried that Bali has been overrun by the Instagram crowd and most of its natural beauty seemingly overwhelmed by thousands of kids taking selfies.
Ideally, I would love a super small group, perhaps even a private guide/boat and away from the party crowd. Wrecks are not that interesting to me, I am hoping for lots of live corals and all the fish and nudibranchs possible. Staying on Bali would be easiest, just a taxi drive over to Padang Bai/Tulamben versus a flight over to Labuan Bajo. Seems like Komodo would offer a fair bit more unspoiled natural beauty versus Padang Bai/Tulamben.

I would love this community's thoughts on "most natural beauty and biodiversity" vs "3 nights" vs "private guide" kind of situations. I guess I am mostly worried that the Bali dive sites will have deteriorated corals due to overuse, etc. Like Manta Point with its dozens of divers/snorkelers chasing the mantas around.

Casualty of Covid. No tourist, no income, but the locals still need to eat.

Did you mean the bumpheads were literal casualties of COVID? Or the locals interaction with bumpheads decreased during COVID, causing the bumpheads to take up residence elsewhere?

I have spoken with the owner of Puri Madha, their 2 dive guides and a local instructor - all of them swear there wasnt fishing in the wreck area. They dont know any other fisherman catched the bumpheads for eating or selling.

Puri madha is exactly facing to the wreck, closest entry/exit from their restaurant. They are the only dive resort open during covid time to cater local diver. So, they would know if any fishing activities in the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom