Bali __cpLocations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterpurrs

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What are the good places one can base themselves for diving in Bali? I only know of the following places (clockwise from the airport):
1. Seminyak: I haven't been but it seems to be very bad diving and not really worth mentioning.
2. Permuteran + Menjangan: nice muck, mostly plain reef. but it's pretty far from the airport, the payoff is not quite worth the trek.
3. Lovina: I've only been to the beach but reviews seem to suggest bad diving, not worth mentioning
4. Tulamben + Amed: nice wrecks, very nice muck
5. Candidasa: I've only been to the beach but reviews seem to prefer nearby Padang Bai, not sure why.
6. Padang Bai: I've only been to the harbor, but reviews seem to really like it, especially for access to both very good muck locally and Penida sites for molas, mantas, and a bit of reef
7. Sanur: I've only been to the harbor, reviews don't seem to like it, not worth mentioning. Even though it has full access to Penida sites?
8. Nusa Penida & Lembongan: probably one of the nicest diving in Bali, has molas and mantas

For someone not crazy about muck who wants to dive in only the best Bali has to offer, I assume it's a combination of Tulamben+Amed in the North (one base can cover both places) plus something in the East (numbers 5-8). So for those Eastern __cpLocations, what's the best strategy to approach them? I've only ever dived from Nusa Penida and Lembongan. Are there any pros and cons to basing out of mainland __cpLocations vs the Nusas, diving-wise? (Ignoring factors like accom, restaurants, nightlife...). What's the difference between basing out of Candidasa, Padang Bai, and Sanur? Online reviews seem to suggest Padang Bai has better muck than Candidasa and Sanur, plus its own mola site (is it not accessible from Candidasa though?) But if all the Eastern mainland __cpLocations can access all Penida sites equally, I'm not sure why I've always had to make the trek to the Nusas instead of just staying on the mainland.

I'm not going to be much help but Sanur or Seminyak are NOT the place to stay if diving is at all a priority. You'll be faced with very long, potentially choppy boat rides or car rides.

I think you are on point about picking something in the Tulamben/Amed area that you like....and then something on Lembongan/Penida. Padang Bai/Candidasa may have dive ops that touch both areas but again you've got to factor in the convenience of long boat trips. Not only that, I'd much rather dive with a DM who dives those sights daily, not caravanning in occasionally from an hour away.

You're so confused and misinformed on Bali diving I don't think I can straighten you out. Maybe others will give it a try.

^
LOL!! Know nothing at all.

@dumpsterpurrs
Bali is quite big and travelling around is NOT that easy unless you have your own transport.
If you want to stay close to the airport then Padang Bai is the place.
Coming from a member states of ASEAN, visa is not a concern. How much time do you have?

@dumpsterpurrs
Bali is quite big and travelling around is NOT that easy unless you have your own transport.
If you want to stay close to the airport then Padang Bai is the place.
Coming from a member states of ASEAN, visa is not a concern. How much time do you have?
What we did last time was rent a bike once we got to Tulamben. It was easy to drive our gear around. I think I'll check out Padang Bai/Candi Dasa next time on the way to another Alor-Komodo trip. Apparently the main mola dive sites are closer to Candi Dasa than Padang Bai, and we're more interested in molas than muck, so maybe it's better for us to stay there instead. So a few days in Ubud and other mountainous spots in the Northeast, a few days in Candi Dasa (local mola dives, some muck, one day for manta and more mola in Penida), then a couple weeks in Alor, finishing with a week in Komodo. If I go around late Sep-late Oct I should have some chance of meeting molas in Bali, hammerheads and whales in Alor, and hitting both North-Central and South Komodo. I have 30 days visa free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom