Uncomfortable on the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Nighthawk does the same thing when I don't have the trim weights in it. I normally keep one pound in each pocket and that takes care of that.

lamont:
If you've got a weight belt you can also move the weights around towards your back rather than in front near your stomach.
That is the direct opposite of what I try to do and what I teach. Putting lead behind your back and under the tank is uncomfortable on the boat, pushes the tank away from your body, reduces your stability in the water, and makes the belt prone to spin around resulting in the buckle being inaccessible because it is under the tank. I try to keep the lead on my hips or forward of my hips in general.
I don't think Lamont, or anyone else, was suggesting that the weight go 'under the tank'. Rather, the recommendation is to move the weight from from a position forward of the diver's vertical centerline (seen from the side - i.e. a coronal plane) to a position aft of that line. I encourage divers, who are using a 'soft' back-inflate BCD to do this, particularly where they are using AL cylinders, if they feel a 'face forward' tendency in the water.

You make a good point about the shifting weight belt, particulary if a diver is using quite a bit of weight. If the belt is loosely fitted, or the diver is using thick neoprene that compresses at depth, there may be a tendency for the weights to move to the lowest position U/W - i.e. slip around toward the diver's abdomen. The less weight on the belt the less likely that is to occur, or at least the less likely it is to become a problem.
dumpsterdiver:
If the OP is going to spend much time on the surface, the BP/W may not be the best choice.
I don't think the OP indicated that he was using a BP/W. Rather, he said
Fishstalker:
I use a back inflator BCD.
I will agree with several other posters - one reasonable potential solution is a re-distribution of weight, another is a move to a steel cylinder. Moving three pounds from the weight belt or pockets, to the bottom of the cylinder by placing two ankle weights, clipped together, around the cylinder is one possibility. Moving some of the weight to cylinder cam band pockets - placed as close as possible to the back of the BCD is another.

As for the BP, if the OP moves to a SS BP it will actually help the situation quite a bit. That moves ~6 lbs from the waist (or the integrated weight pockets) to a position behind the diver.

I'd also like to know if he's using a crotch strap. My Express Tech used to want to ride up and act like it wanted to tip me forward. I added weight pouches to the cam bands (that I never use with steel tanks) and added a crotch strap after one weekend without one. I'd have to say that combined they are the shizzle. With much of the credit going to the strap. I don't know why mfg's don't put one on every back inflate.

I would not recommend floating face down with a snorkel, you could find yourself run over and often if on a charter boat you will find the captain likes to make eye contact with you and see you, face down he may not be happy with you.

The idea of putting your feet out front and letting them float you, well, that helps and works to some degree if you have on neoprene, otherwise, if you have heavy legs, as do many men, it will only tend to roll you more.

I have always used a wing, never owned a jacket BC, I settle for riding lower in the water because I simply do not put much air into my wing. I lean back and keep my body straight through my knees, I drop my knees and occasionally flip my fins a bit, this keeps me rocked back comfortably almost like sitting back in a chair. I slowly rotate myself a little, with those occasional fin flips, so as to see around me for boats and jetskis and shark fins coming my way.

N

Another possible solution is to go to Bonaire and never inflate your BCD.:wink:

I'd also like to know if he's using a crotch strap. My Express Tech used to want to ride up and act like it wanted to tip me forward. I added weight pouches to the cam bands (that I never use with steel tanks) and added a crotch strap after one weekend without one. I'd have to say that combined they are the shizzle. With much of the credit going to the strap. I don't know why mfg's don't put one on every back inflate.

And yet when I came on here and asked about my SeaQuest Balance riding up, I received a bunch of comments about how it must not fit properly or I didn't have it adjusted right. Nice to know it isn't just me.

The OP hasn't been seen since this post was started. I think this has run it's course.

Thanks to all for comments and apologies for being unresponsive (been travelling the last week or so). To answer questions....YES, I am a 6ft male, YES, I DO have 'heavy legs', NO , I don't use a crotch strap. I particularly like the suggestion to increase weight in the trim weight pockets (I use 12lb, 4 in the trim and 8 in the integrated pockets.....I'll try the other way around). I also like the 'steel tank' sugestion, but, like so many, I use what I am given. Safe diving folks !

Thanks to all for comments and apologies for being unresponsive (been travelling the last week or so). To answer questions....YES, I am a 6ft male, YES, I DO have 'heavy legs', NO , I don't use a crotch strap. I particularly like the suggestion to increase weight in the trim weight pockets (I use 12lb, 4 in the trim and 8 in the integrated pockets.....I'll try the other way around). I also like the 'steel tank' sugestion, but, like so many, I use what I am given. Safe diving folks !
Remember that the weight in the trim pockets is not readily ditchable. (Also, 12 pounds here in the tropics seems like a lot to me, but I assume you have done a proper buoyancy check.)

Hi Vladimir, thanks for comment. You are right. On reflection, I decided I would rather keep my weights 'ditchable' (not that I have ever ditched, but when you need to, you probably REALLY need to). I have acquired/fitted a crotch strap, so I will report on success following this week-end diving. (...and re 12lbs....yep, buoyancy check shows that's what I need)

Back
Top Bottom