Uncomfortable on the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishstalker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here's a thought.....I have done 130 dives and consider myself an 'intermediate' level diver. I use a back inflator BCD as I like to be horizontal in the water. However, and the end of a dive with an empty tank and back inflated BCD, I am always fighting on the surface NOT to be flipped forward on my face.....not comfortable, exhausting, leg-cramp inducing...and downright dangerous if the boat is a ways off ! Friends have said "partially delate the BCD"....<duh>...I did mention that I am not a beginner, didn't I ? Sometimes, I end up using my SMB as a frontal bouyancy device just so as I can relax in the water. I ponder the usefuleness of a small, clip-on bouyancy bag at the front of the BCD. Anyone have similar problems, or even have a solution ?....mucho thanks

Not sure what I can tell you since you say you aren't a beginner.

Tell us everything about your gear config. Are you overweighted? How much weight do you wear and where do you put it?

I dive a 5/3mil hooded vest under a 3/2mil full suit in freshwater with an AL80. I use a steel backplate for weight and nothing else. I'm able to inflate at the surface and totally relax in a vertical position without any issues.

How much are you deflating the BCD? I usually just put enough gas in it to keep me above the surface. Do you use integrated weights in the BCD? If so, I wonder if those are contributing to you feeling like you're being pulled onto your face. Do you have trim weights on your cam bands? Those could help a little to help keep you upright. I use a BP/W and a weight belt and just lean back on it with as little gas in the wing as I need to be above the surface.

Kristopher

Assuming you are diving an AL tank, try moving 4 to 6 pounds of lead onto your tank strap(s) to counter the buoyancy of the tank.

That is the primary reason my BP/W has not been wet in months. A Scuba Pro Stab jacket is the most comfortable BC on the surface. The solution is to inflate the BP/w less and also to stop fighting it, use a snorkel and lay face down to relax..

Snorkle.....useful for those surface face plants (swimming as I like to call it). Or try a horse collar,though it might tip you over on your back. :D

I have a back inflate bc too. On the surface it's most comfortable to make like an otter. Lean back, let your feet float up in front of you.
You'll float comfortably with your face out of the water and can relax.

I have a back inflate bc too. On the surface it's most comfortable to make like an otter. Lean back, let your feet float up in front of you.
You'll float comfortably with your face out of the water and can relax.
I second this and add I always swim backward unless I am on my back gas ( no snorkel ) because the back pressure will face plant you

If you need to be hiked up out of the water to be comfortable in a surface situation then the physics of a back inflate will not be your friend. You can mitigate this in some of the ways mentioned, namely moving some weight to the cam bands as far back as possible to move your center of gravity back a little. Steel cylinders are another good move is possible.

The snorkel can be helpful if you can resist being high. If I need to bob for instance while waiting for some I'll ether kick back or bob low with my snorkel. For the air you will use in a few minutes of surface time you regulator isn't a bad choice either.

Returning to your original logic, You can dive in perfectly good trim in a well fit jacket and bob like a prince on the surface. My Sherwood Avid dives every bit as well as my harness based rigs and even has extra creature comforts.

If you haven't become comfortable in your rig my now try some of the mentioned tricks and if that does not do it for you get a jacket that fits well and have some fun!

Pete

Back
Top Bottom