Poseidon Compressor ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poseidon's are generally re branded and budget models of Bauer
This was when Bauer sold parts to Coltri as I understand the history.
It looks a lot like the old Bauer that Coltri copied, before my time.
Has the same third stage head as the current MCH-13/16.

Lots of nice stuff, auto drains, likely 10 c.f.m. But it has the screwy 2 in one separator I have never figured out and I have one !
but look closely...

The third stage cylinder is blown out
!
confused.gif

.poseidon cylinder.jpg
Trash, unless he wants it for scrap...I would pay $200 for the bits and pieces, but then again I need them.

Unless you friend has faith, knows his compressors, has ready access to spares, a parts manual and is willing to spend time and money in strip down and re build. IMHO his expectation of this things performance will be tempered by it's cost to refurbish. Not withstanding the previous excellent post noting the hole in its side.

IMHO Its a Poseidon model P200 built around late 70's to mid 80's. So its around 30 years old. The filter is not LF but a 27 inch Poseidon Austria built unit, note the gas side entry port at top side up the housing wall.

Note also the perilously thin steel box section frame, it is of Austrian origin and its an American built "package" using the Austrian built block and Austrian "design" style for that mid 70's period.

Now from memory I think I recall Innerspace Research handled these back then but I could be wrong. If I were you contact Poseidon Air Systems Colchester Vermont and see if parts are available. As for the hole assume its seized and that makes it beyond economical to repair as it "adds" at least $1000 to your buy price to make it work.

Factor also (from a commercial position) replacing the filter shell and separator as they exceed there 15 year life

Guys, thanks for the info. I have recommended my friend to keep looking and give this one a miss.

ti325v - well spotted on the third stage blowout, that makes it a deal breaker for him.

Iain, as usual, your knowledge is invaluable and very much appreciated.

Well just to throw this out, since I reccommended against the compressor on another forum already, that third stage is probably not blown out. Its a messed up design. I am looking for a 3rd stage guide cylinder for my poseidon ATM. Its actually open right there and you can see the 3rd stage high pressure floating piston sleeve. Its one piece from the crankcase to the head, with cutouts that allow you to see the floating piston liner. As I said where I previously responded. The older ones have too many very expensive proprietary parts to make them worthwhile. Save yourself the headache and buy a straight Bauer.

This is the model on which the Coltri MCH 13/16 is based. BTW, the 3rd stage is not blown out. That was the original design for cooling. If I put the block side by side with the Coltri, you'd have a tough time telling them apart.

Poseidon's are generally re branded and budget models of Bauer
This was when Bauer sold parts to Coltri as I understand the history.
It looks a lot like the old Bauer that Coltri copied, before my time.
Has the same third stage head as the current MCH-13/16.

Lots of nice stuff, auto drains, likely 10 c.f.m. But it has the screwy 2 in one separator I have never figured out and I have one !
but look closely...

The third stage cylinder is blown out
!
confused.gif

.View attachment 144247
Trash, unless he wants it for scrap...I would pay $200 for the bits and pieces, but then again I need them.

Excellent catch on the cylinder, potentially saving someone lots of headaches and $$$. Your shop is now on my radar as a potential dive destination. Your Thai freighter wreck site sounds interesting.

---------- Post added January 9th, 2013 at 08:06 AM ----------

This is the model on which the Coltri MCH 13/16 is based. BTW, the 3rd stage is not blown out. That was the original design for cooling. If I put the block side by side with the Coltri, you'd have a tough time telling them apart.

ti325v,s shop is still on my radar... :wink:

Thanks Craig for setting me right.
You learn something everyday.
Very exotic design and for the life of me, I cannot imagine why they would do that.
Anybody got a manual ? I would be very happy to learn
All S.B.ers welcome here !

I have a PF/250, its a great air compressor, I do have manuals for it.
I just replace the piston and liner on that HP cylinder and that is just open air cooling.
The filter is 14 x 1.75.. I would use one more HP filter on this thou.

Back
Top Bottom