Exploring new gear options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on what you like.

Your LDS can order stuff. Sherwood makes good stuff (I own two SR-1's).

The LDS does have overhead the internet stores don't have. Try taking a OWD class from them.....can't do it.

As pointed out, LDS's will often price match. Remember, you have to get your gear SERVICED. While you can send it off, the shipping costs offsets and "savings". Your local LDS will often let you borrow stuff, too, if you get jammed up.

As a new diver it will take time to become acquainted with different types of gear and different brands. Even when we buy gear we like there is always something else to buy or replace. The most important questions to ask regarding any piece of equipment is does it fit properly, and for the price will it suit my needs. The actual brand is less important.

Fit is the biggest key. Mask, fins, wetsuit, BC, etc - they all have to fit well. Personally Akona Aqualung wetsuits do not fit me very well. The Akona tends to be too tight in the neck and the Aqualungs tend to be too long. Even when I am looking on line I tend not to go to those two brands since in my experience they have not fit that well.

I buy both online and at my LDS. The online sites have to have an iron clad return policy, I can return anything no questions asked and without a restocking fee. I might pay just a very small amount extra at my LDS and my break even tends to be how much more would it cost for shipping. I do like to be able try the gear on in the store for fit. If possible I do try and support the LDS, but I'm not so loyal that I pass up an incredible online deal. If it is a brand in the LDS I do give them an opportunity to price match.

You may want to try different brands and styles before you purchase. In addition to your instructor's opinions talk to other divers. Local dive clubs are a very good source as well and no bias for brands other than they dive them and like them.

Good luck.

I consider whether there's a big price difference between the LDS & reputable online vendors like ScbuaToys.com.

I consider whether the LDS carries the product I want vs. a near equivalent. For example, I believe the same company makes the Oceanic & Aeris dive computers, so if I wanted one but the LDS sold the other, well, maybe no big deal. But there's nothing quite like the Atomic Cobalt, so that they've either got or they don't.

Do I need to wear it? Hoods, gloves, boots, wet suits - if I use the LDS to get help selecting one, and it fits, and I'm cool with buying that brand and model, then it seems wrong to order it online instead of buying from them.

Similarly, if I draw on the dive shop staff expertise in making a decision, I weigh that in favor of buying from them. This expertise, and the advantage of hands on evaluation, have value, so I allow for a somewhat higher price, given that I have received additional value beyond the base product.

Richard.

I value the"showroom", on-hand inventory selection and salesman's savy of the products he sells as about a 15% premium. This is about what you would tip at an average restaurant that provides adequate service.
Some brands of premium dive equipment protect their dealer network by restricting the advertising of discounted prices.
And some lower tier brands will sell to anyone with a business card even if the gear gets sold out of the trunk of a car.
There is a large amount of marginal quality dive gear made in far away places dumped on the USA market.

Back
Top Bottom