LA Diving Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGriff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi everyone!

I want to get out and go diving, but I am not sure how to approach it in my situation. I am based in LA and I have a PADI scuba diver license (9 dives) and no gear. I also have a physical disability that makes it hard for me to carry gear across a beach, something I have seen as a requirement among different dive shops when renting gear and a divemaster (I can get myself and my snorkel gear across). Do I have a realistic option for diving, or should I wait until I get my full open water certification?

Thank you for the advice!

Contact Hollywood Divers (ask for Hal). Underwater Camera, Scuba and Snorkeling Center
They will hook you up with some operators and options.
There is a very active dive scene in LA, and I'm sure there is a club or shop that will help you out.

Did you get the Scuba Diver cert from a shop in LA? If you did contact them. With the Scuba Diver cert you are supposed to dive with direct supervision of a Instructor/AI/DM. So it maybe easier if you finish the Open Water cert.

Much of the SoCal diving is either boat based or at the Catalina dive park, so at the very least you would be able to cart any gear to the boat. The Spectre will rent you all your gear and it will be on the boat when you get there. Catalina Divers Supply will do guided dives and all you need is your bathing suit. The local dive shops are generally good and friendly. Walk into one and they should be able to help you out.

Talk to Hollywood Divers and look into the SSI Classified Dive Program.

If you want help to the shore, Newport has a strong shore diving community that would likely help you out

The first thing I would do is get your full OW certification then go from there.
It will free you up to get a lot more adventure out of diving and not have to be under direct supervision all the time. As was mentioned above, the Spectre out of Ventura is a great boat and mostly does day trips to Anacapa. The dive sites ae beginner to intermediate 20’ to 60’.
They cater to a lot of OW classes, that doesn’t bother me at all, I love that boat.

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I was looking to get some diving in while I wait for my instructor to be free, but it looks like I will be unable to do any socal diving until my OW.

In regards to the Spectre, I did email them asking about it, and they never replied to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom