Drysuit disaster from La Jolla to DC...!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many "hours" do you have in a drysuit? I ask because it took Idk, 15 or so dives before I really started feeling comfortable? All this stuff about changing rented drysuits and feeling out of whack is pretty normal and should pretty much be expected.

Heck when I switched from one type of suit to the next I needed another ~ 10 dives to feel right.

My point is, don't beat yourself up too bad. A M2M suit will make a ton of difference, it is absolutely worth it. You get a suit (whether M2M or used) and get 20 dives under your belt you'll look back and laugh at how much of a mess you were. You're fine, we were all there at one point.

I dive locally at a quarry in MD and in the bay (for oysters), you're more than welcome to join anytime. Oysters is done for the season, but starts back up in Oct.

Hey internet dive buddies, looking for expert advice!

I'm just a baby diver and have been since my drysuit misadventures started, though by now I'm nearly up to 100 dives and wearing out my newbie excuses. Here's my sad drysuit story.

I got drysuit certified in La Jolla in Feb 2022. It went okay until my rented mask swamped, and while I was trying to clear it I caught air and did an unplanned ascent...shallow, but still-

So I tried again, in Lake Allure, May 2023. This time, ruin in the first five minutes: I'd overweighted myself, lost a fin, and sank to the (luckily shallow) bottom. I did the first dive, wound up being dangerously cold (didn't wear the undergarments, thought they'd be too "bulky"), couldn't even do the second dive.

OK. Third try. Present day. Last week I'm in the pool, tucking and rolling, when I catch too much air in my feet, unplanned ascent, can't right myself, lose a fin. Classic me in a drysuit.

Am I taking this act to the quarry this weekend? You betcha. Need all your tips and tricks for survival.

Maybe I can partially blame the ill-fitting rental gear for these mishaps, but am I really going all in and buying a drysuit at this point?

Also, if somebody in the Washington DC area wants to train a floundering would-be drysuiter, as, like, your do-good springtime project I'm here for it-
Sounds like you need an experienced drysuit instructor, not just one who holds the instructor ticket.

The use of drysuits is part of our core training, they're easy to use from the off, but more difficult after you've learned in a wetsuit.

The Drysuit v BCD debate is usually dictated by the method used by the poster. This graphic should help:
1711994197917.png

Diverantz Im about to start my drysuit journey in a couple months. Speaking as someone with ridiculously low proprioception I really really admire your attitude and tenacity!

Im anticipating much pool time for myself...........

Thanks! I don't even like cold water, dunno why I'm trying so hard to dive in it....I'm heading back to the pool too, guess it's the place to be these days-

How many "hours" do you have in a drysuit? I ask because it took Idk, 15 or so dives before I really started feeling comfortable? All this stuff about changing rented drysuits and feeling out of whack is pretty normal and should pretty much be expected.

Heck when I switched from one type of suit to the next I needed another ~ 10 dives to feel right.

My point is, don't beat yourself up too bad. A M2M suit will make a ton of difference, it is absolutely worth it. You get a suit (whether M2M or used) and get 20 dives under your belt you'll look back and laugh at how much of a mess you were. You're fine, we were all there at one point.

I dive locally at a quarry in MD and in the bay (for oysters), you're more than welcome to join anytime. Oysters is done for the season, but starts back up in Oct.

So far I've got two pool sessions plus two dives in La Jolla and one in Lake Allure. So I'm probably not yet up to feature film running time? I'm going to try another rental drysuit and then order one, fly to hot water in the meantime-

Yeah, I'd love to go look for oysters! I tried once but I was underweighted (opposite of my drysuit probs, LOL) and I couldn't see a single thing down there-

Yeah, I'd love to go look for oysters! I tried once but I was underweighted (opposite of my drysuit probs, LOL) and I couldn't see a single thing down there-

For "beginners" (and I don't mean that in a bad way at all) I usually send them to Kent Island. The viz over there is usually much better. The last time I went it was every bit of 15'. It is something to look over and actually see other oyster divers. Plus the life in October is pretty great. Horseshoe crabs, blue crabs, a good amount of fish.

The other place that I go out of is Annapolis. The boat is way more fun, but the viz is never great. Sometimes it's barely ok. Saturday was the worst I've seen it in a while, it might have been 18" if that.

Just shoot me a pm anytime you want to go.

For "beginners" (and I don't mean that in a bad way at all) I usually send them to Kent Island. The viz over there is usually much better. The last time I went it was every bit of 15'. It is something to look over and actually see other oyster divers. Plus the life in October is pretty great. Horseshoe crabs, blue crabs, a good amount of fish.

The other place that I go out of is Annapolis. The boat is way more fun, but the viz is never great. Sometimes it's barely ok. Saturday was the worst I've seen it in a while, it might have been 18" if that.

Just shoot me a pm anytime you want to go.

Both sound great, for opposite reasons! I'll go scope out this drysuit rental option and then hit you up-

Thanks! I don't even like cold water, dunno why I'm trying so hard to dive in it....I'm heading back to the pool too, guess it's the place to be these days-
How about waiting a bit for it to warm up a little more and get some in a wetsuit. Give yourself a chance to get comfortable with the process and the basics of buoyancy down without the added factor of the drysuit.

I dove for several years at Dutch springs in just wetsuits. Below the thermocline (usually 45'+) for extended times and when we pushed into October and November - yea, got pretty uncomfortable, but there is plenty to learn shallower and mid-season, A 5mm or clapped-out used 7mm is more than sufficient for that. I don't know about Allure, but Willow is shallow and supposedly pretty warm. You also have Phoenix below Petersburg VA. (I have not dove there, but have family about 20min away.)

That said. I'd be happy to dive DS with you in my Fusion so we'd have like suits and can do some troubleshooting - maybe meet up with you & @rob.mwpropane. I'm old(ish) so I do like the DS in the cooler water.

Frankly unless the fit is absolutely atrocious for you, I'd recommend figuring-out the rental fusion before shelling out $1000+ for a custom drysuit so you can make more informed/experienced choices.

How about waiting a bit for it to warm up a little more and get some in a wetsuit. Give yourself a chance to get comfortable with the process and the basics of buoyancy down without the added factor of the drysuit.

I dove for several years at Dutch springs in just wetsuits. Below the thermocline (usually 45'+) for extended times and when we pushed into October and November - yea, got pretty uncomfortable, but there is plenty to learn shallower and mid-season, A 5mm or clapped-out used 7mm is more than sufficient for that. I don't know about Allure, but Willow is shallow and supposedly pretty warm. You also have Phoenix below Petersburg VA. (I have not dove there, but have family about 20min away.)

That said. I'd be happy to dive DS with you in my Fusion so we'd have like suits and can do some troubleshooting - maybe meet up with you & @rob.mwpropane. I'm old(ish) so I do like the DS in the cooler water.

Frankly unless the fit is absolutely atrocious for you, I'd recommend figuring-out the rental fusion before shelling out $1000+ for a custom drysuit so you can make more informed/experienced choices.

Thanks, yeah Lake Phoenix is great, but gets so crowded because it's all we've got now! Will circle back once I get a hold of my next rental option-

Hey internet dive buddies, looking for expert advice!

I'm just a baby diver and have been since my drysuit misadventures started, though by now I'm nearly up to 100 dives and wearing out my newbie excuses. Here's my sad drysuit story.

I got drysuit certified in La Jolla in Feb 2022. It went okay until my rented mask swamped, and while I was trying to clear it I caught air and did an unplanned ascent...shallow, but still-

So I tried again, in Lake Allure, May 2023. This time, ruin in the first five minutes: I'd overweighted myself, lost a fin, and sank to the (luckily shallow) bottom. I did the first dive, wound up being dangerously cold (didn't wear the undergarments, thought they'd be too "bulky"), couldn't even do the second dive.

OK. Third try. Present day. Last week I'm in the pool, tucking and rolling, when I catch too much air in my feet, unplanned ascent, can't right myself, lose a fin. Classic me in a drysuit.

Am I taking this act to the quarry this weekend? You betcha. Need all your tips and tricks for survival.

Maybe I can partially blame the ill-fitting rental gear for these mishaps, but am I really going all in and buying a drysuit at this point?

Also, if somebody in the Washington DC area wants to train a floundering would-be drysuiter, as, like, your do-good springtime project I'm here for it-
I know your post is about a month old, but hopefully you've figured some things out.

I dive with a drysuit and have since my first dive. I did my open water cert in my drysuit. I experienced the whole foot first ascent issue a few times early on until I got my trim and weight under control. Also never forget to burp your drysuit once you've donned it. at depth I use my suit for bouyancy control anything above 30ft I use my BC it is so much easier the deeper you go.

I would caution putting too much air in the drysuit because dumping air can be an issue until you have gotten a good feel for how air moves in you suit, and make sure your dump valve is open. I've only lost a fin because of a loose strap. Never had my suit blow em off, so that's a new one. While you are learning I'd recommend BC for buoyancy, and suit to manage squeeze. Once you are comfortable and understand how the air moves in your suit experiment with suit+BC buoyancy, and then from there figure your own preference. FYI I purchased my drysuit day one because I dive mainly off California coast and hate being cold.

I know your post is about a month old, but hopefully you've figured some things out.

I dive with a drysuit and have since my first dive. I did my open water cert in my drysuit. I experienced the whole foot first ascent issue a few times early on until I got my trim and weight under control. Also never forget to burp your drysuit once you've donned it. at depth I use my suit for bouyancy control anything above 30ft I use my BC it is so much easier the deeper you go.

I would caution putting too much air in the drysuit because dumping air can be an issue until you have gotten a good feel for how air moves in you suit, and make sure your dump valve is open. I've only lost a fin because of a loose strap. Never had my suit blow em off, so that's a new one. While you are learning I'd recommend BC for buoyancy, and suit to manage squeeze. Once you are comfortable and understand how the air moves in your suit experiment with suit+BC buoyancy, and then from there figure your own preference. FYI I purchased my drysuit day one because I dive mainly off California coast and hate being cold.

It's cold there, you need one! That's where I first drysuited, and maybe I'll go back there for a next attempt, because there were so many more drysuit rental options than here in the DC area-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom