Better divers??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DepthCharge

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm not sure where to post this, so if mod's want to move it somewhere else feel free.

Anyway, I've been diving for 25 yrs. Been traveling to dive destinations as long. What I find is that
Europeans as a group are much better divers than americans. Has any one else noticed this? Is the training different,
even with the same organization?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Later,
John

I have not noticed this. Have seen excellent North American, as well as European divers from time to time but no one continent really stuck out.

Never noticed it. Perhaps it's related to where you go diving.

DepthCharge:
What I find is that Europeans as a group are much better divers than americans. Has any one else noticed this? Is the training different, even with the same organization?
I haven't noticed a particular difference in the one place where I see a mixture of North American and European divers - Bonaire. Anecdotally, while diving in the US with the European diver, I see pretty much the same occasional silting, and reef damage, But, I have also seen some excellent European divers.

I am curious what you see that prompts the thought. What defines, for you, 'much better'? This is not a rebuttal of the observation, just curious about the basis. And, do you see a difference between Western Europeans and Eastern Europeans?

Not noticed any difference between various nationalities, however I have noticed a difference related to experience levels.

Spent a week at Club Med Columbus Isle last spring, a diving focused Club Med in the Bahamas. Most of the divers were French and Italian with a few Spanish; just a handful from the US and Canada. I didn't notice any difference in diving ability between nationalities. A few of the European women did go topless on the boat between dives which greatly improved the surface interval :D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom