Getting to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow airfares have definitely gone up since we booked ours. I hope all you guys and gals out there find something that works.

Sometimes leaving home for Bonaire a day early or staying there an extra night can end up saving you some money once you factor in an extra night at the resort. Worth a look, right?

Airfare definitely going up! This morning Chicago to Newark to Bonaire 1,220.90!!

For those looking to get to Bonaire through Atlanta's hub, Delta's Saturday non-stop flights ATL-BON on Saturday 6/22 and back 6/29.... they have only a handful of open seats in economy left. I think maybe 5-6 scattered throughout the cabin remaining after I booked our two seats this afternoon. The round trip fare was $930 after taxes and fees for each of us. Ouch, it hurt. But the non-stop, 4-hr flights appealed to me a whole lot more than the cheaper options with 2 stops on the way down and all day long travel. I want to get on the plane, lovingly pat my regulator in the storage bin above my seat and whisper "almost there", and then find a cocktail in my hand with minimal hassle.

MeraSonnet, I am envious. I've never taken the nonstop ATL-BON flight because it's so darn expensive--pretty much always approaching $1,000--when the ATL-MIA-CUR-BON route has been as cheap as $600 in recent years. But the clear advantage of a nonstop became apparent to me in 2011 when I made the connection in CUR just fine while my dive gear took a 2-day vacation to Venezuela without me.

. But the clear advantage of a nonstop became apparent to me in 2011 when I made the connection in CUR just fine while my dive gear took a 2-day vacation to Venezuela without me.

Doh!!

My good buddy was heading down to Bonaire 3 years ago for a kiteboarding seminar. He had 2 connecting flights arranged. Never made it. Something happened at Point A then Point B... and he ended up back home 24 hours later fed up and over it. But then again, others do the connections with no hassles.

I've got a friend in medical school on Bonaire; back in early January he flew back & had a connecting flight in Curacao. If memory serves it was over a week before his bag showed up. Granted, that's one anecdotal event amongst who knows how many that went off without a hitch. But the extra stop seems to introduce an extra potential failure point.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom