Getting to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DjDiverDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just checking out the Bonaire Invasion and I tried to do a quick search for flights to check out logistics and cost. Why was almost everything out of either Dallas or Houston in the 10-14 hour range, with 2 stops, and almost $1,600 RT? What U.S. cities have regular direct flights into Bonaire? Or into Curacao, where I can grab a puddlejumper to Bonaire? Any thoughts?

DJ, I have been trolling the flight sites today looking for my passage from Atlanta to Bonaire. Do not want to do any layovers or a puddlejumper from Caracao, because I just feel lazy and want to save the adventuring for the island... not wondering what will happen in a series of flights. I share with you that ATL appears to have a daily non-stop to Bonaire.

I use this to search for flights.
Matrix - ITA Software

Airfare from Miami was below 400 until this week. It went up to 460.00
Glad I bought mine earlier to avoid the increase.

Folks I wish I had a magic wand for getting airfare but that does not exist. Using the Matrix has been my best tool to search airfare. It will find the best fares but you have to keep checking there is no easier way I know about.

I have heard that Tuesdays and Thursday appear to be the best days to search. However my advise is search EVERYDAY and if you find lowest do not hesitate.

This site has some good advise also
Cheapest Days to Fly and Best Time to Buy Airline Tickets

DJ, I have been trolling the flight sites today looking for my passage from Atlanta to Bonaire. Do not want to do any layovers or a puddlejumper from Caracao, because I just feel lazy and want to save the adventuring for the island... not wondering what will happen in a series of flights. I share with you that ATL appears to have a daily non-stop to Bonaire.

Atlanta's nonstop is wonderful but expensive. Changing planes in Curacao is easy--it's a tiny airport. I usually do ATL-MIA-CUR-BON, though I believe InselAir has a nonstop from MIA.

I have heard that Tuesdays and Thursday appear to be the best days to search.

In general, Tuesday is the best time but just like you said, folks need to check every day. This past October we went to Little Cayman so we first had to go to Grand Cayman. I checked the ITA Matrix site each day and usually a couple of times a day. I checked it one morning and the price getting into GC from my airport was $505 rt. I checked later that afternoon and the very same flight was exactly $150 less. It stayed down for right at 24 hours and then went back up. You just gotta keep checking folks.

As far as going to Bonaire, I did the Insel flight from Miami direct to Bonaire a few years back and it went off without a hitch. Would highly recommend that route.

I was looking for direct flights into Bonaire, and those appear to be rare except out of Miami. Only one a week from Houston Intercontinental, and its on Friday - RT airfare as of yesterday for June 21-28 was $1,258.00. Apparently only one day a week for direct flights out of Atlanta as well, and that was over $1,500.00 yesterday. And connections to Miami are miserable - i'd have to be traveling 16-18 hours each way to get anything close to a decent airfare for the Invasion. I'd love to dive Bonaire, but not this trip, it seems.

I just used the matrix and found this flight
Matrix - ITA Software

United has a nonstop
leaves Houston June 21 Friday 11:59 pm arrives Bonaire June 22 5:54 am
Returns June 29 Saturday 7:30 Am arrives Houston 11:26

Slightly better than what you posted Dan but I understand if it will not work for you.
We will miss you

Remember the key to finding airfare is persistence for those playing the AIRFARE GAME

Another thought is to fly into Curacao then take the puddle hopper from there
Houston flight AA is 582.00 puddle hopper show 82.00 and have multiple flight during the day

Atlanta has AA at 640.00
Dallas has AA at 750.00

EVERYONE LOOKING FOR AIRFARE SHOULD RUN THE CURACAO FLIGHT PATH. There maybe saving
These were results from a quick couple searches

Last edited:
I'd give Al or Felix a call. Those guys know their stuff and may be able to find arrangements more agreeable than a novice traveler.

They booked my flight and I'm quite pleased with it.

Insel flies out of MIA and Charlotte direct. But it looks like a 2hr. HOU-MIA flight for $461 then $460 on the 2PM Insel flight - but there's only one seat left currently on Saturday - one assumes the Invasion is partly to blame..

The flight I screen-captured - off MatrixITA is $739 HOU-CUR then you'd add $106 r/t on Insel r/t locally. One stop thru Miami, 7H10M out, 9H20M back plus the Insel puddle jumper. (takes 25mins). The times don't exactly match up so 4 hours layover in Curacao on the return. Decide soon, the later morning Insel return flight only has 3 seats currently available. You can also fly DAE (Dutch Antilles Express) - same 3PM CUR-BON but the return flight is an hour later. Slightly cheaper also - $82.

The HOU-CUR flight needs to be on time also as the flight lands in Curacao at 2:10 and the Insel Flight leaves at 3PM. But it's a small airport - maybe 8-10 gates total? My buddy lives in Houston so we've done it.

If you miss it there's an 8PM flight also. The $739 flight has a 3PM departure so you'd have time to get back in the morning. Seats are limited on the Insel BON-CUR flight also, they're currently showing 3 available.

The problem with the $582^^ HOU-CUR flight is it's a 7:30AM departure on the return so you'd have to overnight on Curacao. That's upwards of $100 typically plus a $40 cab ride downtown to a less expensive hotel so just about a wash. Or there's a really trashy airport hotel that reeks of smoke.

Aruba is going to be the same money plus the Insel flight is over $200. Insel also has a direct flight from Charlotte now. Other possibilities: http://www.infobonaire.com/airlineinfo.html

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom