Negril, Jamaica Feb 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TestUser5

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Headed there for some R&R any dive recommendations? Things that "have" to be seen/done, things to avoid (diving or up on that boring ol' dry land)? I've never been to Jamaica before.
Thanks

Tree House Resort

This is from an older thread about Jamaica, hopefully the links are still good:

"I'll second Negril, Jamaica. In addition to good resorts, such as Couples, you have access to some wonderful other activities. My wife and I were married in Negril, and for our "reception" we took the resort bus to Rick's for the sunset. On our second trip (five year anniversary), we took a private car to YS Falls. For diving, while the diving at the resort was free, we chose Sundivers on our second trip, due to their more traditional two-tank morning dive, which lets you enjoy the resort for the rest of the day, in lieu of the two separate dives that most resorts do."

We just returned from Couples Negril and love the place. We go every September but we don't go to Jamaica for the diving (we visit Cozumel for those trips) but CN is a great AI to relax and be pampered.

We dive with Couples as Jim had mentioned and we also don't like that it takes up the whole day (8am-3pm) with time in between for lunch but we don't do much else so that is okay.

On our 2nd last day we only dove the morning and then we hired a taxi driver to take us around Negril. We weren't into doing the hike at YS Falls or pretty much too much else when it was 92F in the shade.

We did notice the diving wasn't as good this year. The reef at the shallower dives (50-70ft) have taken a hit but our last dive was to the small plane at 90ft and the coral there was much nicer. (Though it still can't compare to Coz). We just enjoy getting wet and blowing bubbles.

The secret to Jamaica is to slow down and enjoy. Have fun
Betty

Diving around Negril is clear, fun, and relaxing. Normally there is a little current on most sites, nice enough for slow drift dives, and the boat will follow to pick you up at the end. My favorites:

The Arches where there are (surprise) arches to swim through, a very picturesque site. Be sure to roll over and look at what is on the ceiling. Frequently find a nurse shark and green moray eels. This site may include the small plane which is now in pretty rough shape but still a good picture. Typical profile is 55fsw.

Bloody Bay Deep is full of large coral mounds, great for swimming around or through. Watch for Atlantic Spadefish and Spotted Eagle Rays. May include or feature the "Deep Plane" as part of this dive. The plane is a great picture opportunity. Normally 90fsw, this area can see some good currents.

The Throne Room. Very cool place where you can drop down through a hole in the ceiling to a room where there is a nice seat, then swim out the side. Or do it in reverse and swim out thru the top. Many cool crevices in the reef, great for all kinds of cool creatures. Slow down and look around.

Green Island Wall. This is a bit of a ways for the slower boats so you may not go here. Very nice wall system, plenty of larger fish here (unusual for Negril). Can have good current, may be dirty water if island has had much recent rain. 60-90+fsw.

Mike's Reef. Not many go here but it's a great long reef where I've seen big rays, turtles, and lobster. It starts at 65ft and goes down and out to the deep, 130+ if you keep going.

There are plenty of other good sites around Negril for nice relaxing dives. Evryting Irie, mon!

So just wondering how the diving's been lately and what dive operator you ended up using. I have tried two dive operators previously and wasn't very happy with either of them. Sun Divers used a rickety old boat with no spare equipment on board, and the second, Dream Team Divers, implied that I would be getting a boat dive, and charged as much, but just did two shore dives in the cliffs area. Has anyone used Negril Scuba Centre? If so, how did you like them? I'm not staying at an AI, so don't have that option. Thanks!

We just returned from Couples Negril and love the place. We go every September but we don't go to Jamaica for the diving (we visit Cozumel for those trips) but CN is a great AI to relax and be pampered.

We dive with Couples as Jim had mentioned and we also don't like that it takes up the whole day (8am-3pm) with time in between for lunch but we don't do much else so that is okay.

On our 2nd last day we only dove the morning and then we hired a taxi driver to take us around Negril. We weren't into doing the hike at YS Falls or pretty much too much else when it was 92F in the shade.

We did notice the diving wasn't as good this year. The reef at the shallower dives (50-70ft) have taken a hit but our last dive was to the small plane at 90ft and the coral there was much nicer. (Though it still can't compare to Coz). We just enjoy getting wet and blowing bubbles.

The secret to Jamaica is to slow down and enjoy. Have fun
Betty

Betty, we are headed to CN in October. We hadn't thought about hiring a driver. How was that? We aren't into hiking so we would like simple fun. This will be our first visit to Jamaica. Thanks

---------- Post added February 20th, 2013 at 08:47 AM ----------

Headed there for some R&R any dive recommendations? Things that "have" to be seen/done, things to avoid (diving or up on that boring ol' dry land)? I've never been to Jamaica before.
Thanks

Would love to hear your trip update. October will be our first visit to Jamaica as well, staying at CN.
:D

scubaonNC: We hired a driver to take us over to the new country club being built on the point. We were thinking of moving there but then found out we can't take our dog (Jamaica is a rabies-free country) so we thought "what about Cozumel?" and now that is where we will be retiring next year.

We were to pay $20 for the trip next door & back and then we agreed on a total of $80 US for a couple of hours. He took us on a mini-tour around Negril. Even showed us the house he was building. Finished with a stop at the touristy Times Square shopping mall to look around.

Even though we are moving to Cozumel we still love Couples Negril and I am wondering if we can still get there from Cozumel. A lot of places are 4 hour direct flights from Toronto but Caribbean island to island is tough. We will probably have to go through the USA (YIKES) and we don't do that with our dive gear. So maybe we can still go; use CN's free equipment and then only do the morning dive. We can always dive Cozumel when living there and this way we can enjoy the best of CN.

You are going to love it. First year we stayed on the resort. 2nd time we only ventured off because of what I said above and this year is #3; we'll probably stay put again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom