Nautilus Explorer cage diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to book a trip with NE and see the White Sharks. Had a couple questions regarding safety if anyone has been on there boats already? They have a submersable cage that goes down to 40ft. How long do you stay down for? What if you needed to go up for any reason how is that accomplished? Do you have to stay down the whole time allotted for it? I know there are a couple serfice cages you can get in and out of at will but I a,m more concerned with the one at 40'. Thanks!

I want to book a trip with NE and see the White Sharks. Had a couple questions regarding safety if anyone has been on there boats already? They have a submersable cage that goes down to 40ft. How long do you stay down for?
Submersible cage dives are 30 minutes long and if you are a certificated diver, you will have the opportunity to make 3 dives a day.
What if you needed to go up for any reason how is that accomplished?
Our highly experienced divemasters in the submersible cages are always there to both “critter point” and ensure your safety
Do you have to stay down the whole time allotted for it?
Might be a good idea...lol.

From: Great White Shark Diving Guadalupe Island aboard Nautilus Explorer

Last edited:
Thanks I read that also but was looking for a first hand account from some who has been on the boat.

No none? Also trying to find out how fast the cages go down? MY wife has problems with clearing and needs time going down. Usually she has to go up and very slow how would that work in the cage. If there has been anynoe that has been on this boat please respond.

No none? Also trying to find out how fast the cages go down? MY wife has problems with clearing and needs time going down. Usually she has to go up and very slow how would that work in the cage. If there has been anynoe that has been on this boat please respond.

Hi. Mike Lever here from the Nautilus Explorer. Would love to have you join us onboard. Absolutely no problem if your wife needs extra time. submersible cages were at 30 feet last year instead of 40 fsw btw. descent time aprox 1 minute. ascent time aprox 1 minute. there is always a divemaster in each cage. We have a signal system in place to stop descent/ascent or return to the surface but to be honest, it was a little crude. We'll have an improved system in place this year. We are ALL ABOUT our guests' experience onboard. If your wife needs extra time, it's our job to ensure that she gets exactly what she needs. We pride ourselves on that. Hope this info helps.

Hi. Mike Lever here from the Nautilus Explorer. Would love to have you join us onboard. Absolutely no problem if your wife needs extra time. submersible cages were at 30 feet last year instead of 40 fsw btw. descent time aprox 1 minute. ascent time aprox 1 minute. there is always a divemaster in each cage. We have a signal system in place to stop descent/ascent or return to the surface but to be honest, it was a little crude. We'll have an improved system in place this year. We are ALL ABOUT our guests' experience onboard. If your wife needs extra time, it's our job to ensure that she gets exactly what she needs. We pride ourselves on that. Hope this info helps.

Thx Mike! We are booked for next Sep and are looking forward to go!

Hi Mike
I am also looking to book onto a cage diving holiday, however I am looking to go this year and am at present trying to gather as much information as I can about all the operations that offer this trip. The NE appeals to me as I believe you are the only operation that has the double decker cage enabling the diver to get a little more up close and personal with the great white shark - am I correct?
I did my PADI and consolidation dives back in 2008 but have not dived since. Although I intend to do a refresher pool based course in a couple of weeks time, is it a pre-requisite that I have a certain number of current open water dives in order to be able to dive to 30ft in the cage on my trip?
There are also quite a few websites that seem to advertise the NE. Can you please let me know which one I should book through?
I am a solo female traveller looking to book in Aug13 or Sep13 - do you know if there is still availability, and how much of a deposit id required imediately?
I would also appreciate you letting me know exactly what is NOT included in the cost of the trip so that I am not hit with further unexpected costs - this is a lifetime dream that I've been saving for for a very long time so want to make sure I do my homework!
I thank you in advance for your assistance.
Claire
:)

Claire!! Thank you very much for your reply. I confirm that we are the only operator with double decker submersible cages. All the boats at Guadalupe do a good job. The difference is that each boat has their own way of doing things. We believe that much like diving with mantas or dolphins at Socorro, the very best interaction is a natural one on the animals own terms. We don't use chum or blood or tuna oil or that kind of thing. Instead, in accordance with our permit, we use small pieces of tuna wrapped in burlap sacks (just enough to get the sharks' interest and attention) and descend down into their world at 30 feet. Divers get 3 submersible dives a day plus all the time they want in the submerged and surface cages. We average good shark sightings of 2 - 3 animals on 4 out of 5 submersible dives. we have seen as many as 7 sharks at one time. Visibility is 40 - 50 metres!! There is no pre-requisite on a certain number of dives for the submersible cages except that you do need to be a certified diver. We always have a divemaster in each sub cage. We currently have space available on our 5 night trips boarding July 28 and August 2nd. And our 10 night combo trips boarding August 7 and September 16. Terrific if you are interested in booking with your favourite tour operator or alternatively directly with our Vancouver office = maryanne@nautilusexplorer.com. I would like to send you additional info and wondering if I could ask you to PM me with your email address. The only costs not included in the trip are the $65 port fee, bar, gift shop and crew gratuities. Cheers :) And thank you very much. Captain Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom