Safe to buy YS-D1 now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NozBzh

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am seriously thinking about upgrading my Canon G12 with Inon S2000 with an OMD/Nauticam setup. I'd also get new strobes. Thinking about YS-D1 or Z240. Since I'm going to spend a lot on the camera/housing/ports, I am leaning towards the YS-D1 as I can get a pair for over $400 cheaper than a pair of Z240.

My main concern is of course all the bad D1 units I read about. Sure, I'd love to save $400. But in the end, when spending that kind of money, I'd mostly want a reliable strobe!

I'm also attracted by the little extra power the D1 is said to have over the Z240.

I live far from a retailer. That means I have to fly to get there. I'd hate to get a bad strobe and have to return it, that would mean waiting for months before I can do it. I dive everyday so that would be very frustrating!

So I guess my question is, what's going on with the D1 now? Have things calmed down?
Would you say it's "safe" to buy one now?

Just looking to hear from people who recently bought this strobe and their experience with it.

Thanks

Noe

My original one was fixed by Sea & Sea (no cost to me) and my second one (after the problem became public) has been just fine.

I'd buy now and not worry about it.

Thanks Fisheater. I suppose I'll give it a try... Still a bit worried though haha.

We recently took 3 YSD1 strobes to Truk Lagoon. All worked very well. Mine originally had to be sent back for updates, but my friend ordered his after all that. It's too bad all that happened when the strobe was released. I'm thinking you'll be happy with the YSD1. We sure are.
Just ensure that your retailer has units that are not within the range of serial numbered units that were affected by the recall. Units that have been updated should have a sticker on the box, indicating that they have been updated.

I had the same concerns as I had been shopping for a new strobe. I decided to go and get the YSD1. It's priced near the Inon D2000 and I liked it more than the D2000 for a few reasons. The reports of issues have died down. Note, my box does not have the sticker and the retailer checked with S&S. They were told only the units within the problematic range received the firmware upgrade and the sticker on the box. All others automatically get the latest firmware (and no sticker). I am feeling pretty good about the purchase and looking forward to getting it wet.

I bought two late last year from a dealer in Hong Kong. Great dealer, even told me to wait because S&S was coming to his shop to do the update, which I had done before they shipped.

I have about a dozen dives and maybe 1000 shots on them, no problems at all. Great strobes so far.

Safe to get it. Bought 2 units last year and works pretty good, no flood or batteries issue, been used up to 1700+ shots underwater.

I just bought 2 Inon Z-240 strobes from Yuzo in Japan. Arrived in just 6 days. Price with him around $560ea retail here around $800. Beautiful units

Hi Alien,

I am really interested in purchasing Yuzo too. Do you mind sending me the link for Yuzo in Japan?

I just bought 2 Inon Z-240 strobes from Yuzo in Japan. Arrived in just 6 days. Price with him around $560ea retail here around $800. Beautiful units

Back
Top Bottom