New Hollis wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bungies have gotten a bad name thanks to OMS and their lift bag wings. When you look at the picture of their huge wing in the DIR fundies book you can't help but laugh. The wing must be a PITA to dive due to the size and the drag. However, my Zeagle Express Tech wing has bungies and it is nice and streamlined. I would imagine it is better to have the bungies on the inside so they don't present an entanglement risk. On thing about Hollis is they do tend to refresh their wings ever couple of years.

But still, why bungee at all if the wing is size properly. It certainly restrict air into some portion of the wing.

I'm also curious who exactly needs an 85# wing like the BAC. I saw one in a shop and almost fell over. Thing looked big enough to float atlantis.

I'd also like to know (for curiosity sakes) if it really is much harder to inflate a bungeed wing orally.

But still, why bungee at all if the wing is size properly. It certainly restrict air into some portion of the wing.

On the ET, the bungies do not wrap around the wing like the OMS wing. They appear to be more for positioning and to keep the wing from tacoing.

---------- Post added May 5th, 2013 at 08:47 PM ----------

I'm also curious who exactly needs an 85# wing like the BAC. I saw one in a shop and almost fell over. Thing looked big enough to float atlantis.

I'd also like to know (for curiosity sakes) if it really is much harder to inflate a bungeed wing orally.

Megalift wings were much more popular a decade ago than they are now. They were for wreck divers who dove heavy steel tanks and clipped their "goody bag" to themselves. This was before DIR became popular and the "balanced rig" concept became accepted.

To satisfy your curiosity, an Express Tech is no harder to inflate manually than a Halcyon 30.

The bungee on the LX doesn't wrap around the bladder. It is a single length that runs the perimeter of the wing and is attached to the inside of the shell. It pulls on the shell, which collapses the bladder. It looked pretty easy to pull out, and is designed to be removable if desired. Had I not already assembled everything, I would have taken a picture of the insides.

This is what it looks like full kit (mind the blue H's)

Attachments

• IMG_20130504_204713_686.jpg
    IMG_20130504_204713_686.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 491
Does anyone know about the new wing coming out with internal bungees? Thanks.

So how does it perform when inflated or not inflated?

The build quality is excellent, I too questioned the internal bungee. The one nice thing, if you don't like it, you can just remove it.

How is the wing constructed differently from the old version?

The differences on our new LX wings include an inner nylon bladder (420D) vs urethane, outer cover has been increased to 1600D cordura from 1000D, internal bungee (removable) as mentioned, new oval corrugated inflator hose, new OPV, metal grommets to replace the mesh for drainage on the bottom, new color and embroidery and last but not least, lifetime warranty. Hope i didnt forget anything :D

The differences on our new LX wings include an inner nylon bladder (420D) vs urethane, outer cover has been increased to 1600D cordura from 1000D, internal bungee (removable) as mentioned, new oval corrugated inflator hose, new OPV, metal grommets to replace the mesh for drainage on the bottom, new color and embroidery and last but not least, lifetime warranty. Hope i didnt forget anything :D

Nick,

Got it ... new higher quality construction parameters...great, fantastic, yahoo :)

Is there any changes to how it performs?

Nick,

Got it ... new higher quality construction parameters...great, fantastic, yahoo :)

Is there any changes to how it performs?

Hi Michael,

Wing pattern for both S series and C series are identical in shape/volume. For those who prefer to keep the internal bungee installed, it does keep the wing at lowest profile possible.

Back
Top Bottom