Overthinking BP/W Choice - Are tapered wings better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a HOG single tank wing. After only 2 or 3 years (IIRC), a seam started to come apart. It did get replaced under warranty and I promptly sold the replacement.

Not only was the overall quality not as good as some other wings, I didn't like the shape. It was wider, fatter, and shorter compared to single tank wings of similar lift that I like better.

The DGX single tank wing, the DR Travel, and my VDH wings are all slimmer and a little longer. I like that better. It is more streamlined (even if I couldn't tell an actual difference in a blind test in the water)

For a light weight BP, the Dive Rite SS XT Lite would definitely be my choice over an aluminum plate. IME, stainless holds up better over the long term.

I’m a newbie to this whole BP/W thing (heck, this time last year I didn’t even know what a BP/W was, and now I’ve got one, 🤨)

Anyway, my LDS had a lightly used rig comprised of a Dive Rite aluminum back plate(now discontinued) and an OxyCheq wing. It came to me with the standard DIR one piece harness and belt and a pair of mismatched (intentionally??) cam bands, and some trim weight bags and a bunch of D rings.

I’ve only done one boat and one beach dive with it, and after 30 years with BCDs, it’s well, different. I like the modularity and am already doing some small tweaks. I don’t like (or at least I haven’t gotten used to) the idea of having the weights, both trim and on the waist belt, on the already heavier rig. The extra weight makes it harder to doff and don, not to mention haul around.

I like the fact that Dive Rite, OxyCheq, and DGX wing hardware will interchange. I’ve ordered the Dive Rite remote (shoulder) exhaust since I still expect that from my 30 years of using BCDs. Forgive my rambling. Like I said, I’m a Newbie getting used to a shiny object!

🐸

If you're used to having a separate weight belt, you can still do that.

When I add weight to my single tank BPW, I generally put it in trim weight pockets that are mounted on the tank cam bands. It's easier to don/doff (to me) that way, versus weight on the waist belt, making the waist belt itself heavy.

If you're used to having a separate weight belt, you can still do that.

When I add weight to my single tank BPW, I generally put it in trim weight pockets that are mounted on the tank cam bands. It's easier to don/doff (to me) that way, versus weight on the waist belt, making the waist belt itself heavy.
Question for @stuartv: How do you ditch the weights if you needed to? I do the same but it's hard for me to reach the trim weights located near the tank shoulder. Thank you.

Question for @stuartv: How do you ditch the weights if you needed to? I do the same but it's hard for me to reach the trim weights located near the tank shoulder. Thank you.

I don't carry any weight that is ditchable. I rarely have any weight at all, but when I do it's 2 - 4 #. I can swim that up if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom