Ultralight Travel BP/W Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rig has two small DGX trim pockets on a cam band. They are included in the weight. I didnt include in the cost, because i already had them. So add 20$ or whatever they cost.
Some cheaper / lighter / (maybe better) solution vs trim pockets:
1) simple loops of 3mil bungee that sit behind cam bands (or on hip / shoulder straps) and allow weights to be secured in place.
2) Highland weight plates (or 3D printed for almost free if you have access) — can’t use these on cam bands.
3) build soft weight holders from seatbelt webbing and 3mil bungee that act just like (1) but have the added benefit of staying in place during travel and during cylinder swaps. If you’re interested I can send a pic and instructions for these when I‘m next at home.

And less hideous. That stuff manages to looks worn out and over-advertized at the same time.
As someone mentioned on an earlier thread, it is easier to line everything up equally because you can work off the H's. so there's that.

I have never found it a problem to eyeball the shoulder straps but if it helps some people, so be it. To each their own.
I obsess if my d-rings or slides are even 1/16" out of level with one another.

alright sir - here's a challenge....make one for me that's lighter and cheaper (shipped to Canada) and I'll play along...
I suspect you're kidding around.

Just in case you're interested, I put this kit together, in 2022, for $450CAD.
Everything came from DGX except the d-rings and 2 halcyon weight pouches that I already had lying around.
It weighs 5.4lbs. Not too bad for travel.

- DGX S/S Quick-Release Buckle $5.50
- DGX Continuous Harness Webbing with Center Grommet $15.00
- DGX Gears S1 Singles Wing (30lb) $199.00
- DGX Backplate - 2lb Aluminum $75.00
- 2 Dive Rite Tank Straps $25ea
I don't know what the prices are now.

1706646454290.jpeg

1706646468887.png

I am in the market looking for a trolley bag weighting less than 2kg. No luck so far in this part of the world.
Good luck finding one in that price range that would be strong enough.
I have this one .
And a light duffle bag for flying in a light aircraft when allowed 14Kg and 2 Kg carry on.

Edit: If weight becomes a problem, take less cloths, shoes etc, with cloths pack what you think you need, then half it.

As someone mentioned on an earlier thread, it is easier to line everything up equally because you can work off the H's. so there's that.
There is this thing called a fabric tape measure... They cos like $1.00

:poke:

alright sir - here's a challenge....make one for me that's lighter and cheaper (shipped to Canada) and I'll play along...
Well, Sir, I can't tell if you're serious or not... but here's where I'm coming from on it:
If you are serious, then for a minimalist travel wing setup, I'd ditch the cordura and use a ripstop nylon for the shell (a lot less abrasion resistance, but much lighter) and run it either on a straight harness (no actual plate) or cut a flat minimal dogbone from plastic. Could probably bring the whole thing under 4lb.

Respectfully,

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom