Bright Weights for BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KausticMike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
To my betters and to my elders, do you have any thoughts on the viability of using this Bright Weights harness thing
as opposed to the one-piece webbing I initially planned to get?
beltbracesside.jpg

I am painfully new. I'm trying to own my first BCG ever and wanted it to be a BP/W getup. The other pieces I'm set on so far is the Hollis ST22 (cos travel) and an aluminum backplate (cos I mostly travel to tropical waters anyway). I was going to get their ditchable belt for their nice bright weights.

The downsides I see, and correct me if I'm wrong, are:
-it might be stitched in a way that it might not loop into the backplate sufficiently
-shoulder strap weights might feel awkward against the body or even snag
-it's not ditchable for noob emergencies

The upsides I see are:
-I'd look like rambo
-it already has buckles so all I'd have to get are D-rings and bungees

I would greatly appreciate any input, even if it's a resounding HECK NO.

NO!

There are many many better options. For tropical diving how much weight do you think you need?

Like @lexvil said, there are better and easier ways. I would (and personally do) just get a simple one piece harness, and for tropical/thin wetsuit stuff about 8 to ten pounds of lead in 2lb hard weights. A 2 pound weight will stay put on an upper cam band "tail" or you can thread a couple cheap trim weight pouches on the cam bands, any lead beyond that goes on a basic traditional weight belt.
Believe it or not, simpler is usually better for this.

Respectfully,

James

That just looks like an accident waiting to happen. Get a one piece harness and thread a weight pocket on each cam band. Invest in a MAKO free diving weight belt and a couple extra pocket of thread conventional weights on the belt itself.
I only recommend the MAKO belts because they last, are flexible and require less adjusting, and if you ever have to ditch the belt in an emergency, all you need to do is write them a message explaining what happened and they will replace the belt and your lead on their dime.
Also, while an 18-23 lb wing seems like a good idea in theory, it does limit you if you decide to dive cooler/cold water and doesn't give you much reserve if you need to assist another diver. Most 30-35lb wings are still pretty compact, and the difference between the HOG bungee wings in 23 and 32lb sizes is minimal.
The Al plate is fine. If you put the cam band weight pockets right up against the plate, one on either side, you can use those to easily simulate a steel plate's weight. Up to 5lbs in each pocket. But use the same amount in each one regardless of the lead you choose.
The other benefit is you don't ever need to undo the cam buckles and you can use hard or soft weights in them.

Couple of thoughts: Most people don't travel (fly) with their weights. And I recommend a simple, inexpensive weight belt (I prefer a rubber weight belt for recreational diving wet) that releases easily (by you or your rescuer) and drops away readily.

Also, here in MO/AR, when we will be doing a lot of practice dropping and retrieving weight belts during open water training, we will simply spray-paint the solid Pb weights orange or yellow beforehand. Allow enough time for the paint to dry (obviously).

rx7diver

I only recommend the MAKO belts because they last, are flexible and require less adjusting, and if you ever have to ditch the belt in an emergency, all you need to do is write them a message explaining what happened and they will replace the belt and your lead on their dime.
How do you feel about the buckle on the MAKO belts? Looks like a standard belt buckle, and thus there's definitely a potential issue trying to quick release it in an emergency.

Easy-Peasy
Also, read the weight belt guarantee.

If you are new, try not to make things complicated.
This is just for Hookah setups, isn't it?
noted. I was worried I've gone into the rabbit hole and lost my way. I'll have to look into what a Hookah setup is, but, for now, simpler is better. I'll start with a simple one-piece 2" webbing and just get a ditchable weight belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom